• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

US map with separate states for cut vinyl?

MindsEyeOpen

I am working on a US map for a customer that is going to be applied to a glass wall. We are cutting it out of etched glass style vinyl. The issue I am running into is finding a vector map that has a big enough gap between the states to show a good separation. This map is going to be like 5ft wide. Anyone come across anything that would work for this?

I've downloaded at least 20 or 30 vector maps but none really give me enough room between the states. I suppose my last resort is manually moving each state and setting it up myself, but that would really be a pain.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
do a negative outline (inline) of each state. They will be distorted (lose some detail) but it will work. Just don't pick too much of an inline. Then delete the original outline shapes

HulkSmash

I am working on a US map for a customer that is going to be applied to a glass wall. We are cutting it out of etched glass style vinyl. The issue I am running into is finding a vector map that has a big enough gap between the states to show a good separation. This map is going to be like 5ft wide. Anyone come across anything that would work for this?

I've downloaded at least 20 or 30 vector maps but none really give me enough room between the states. I suppose my last resort is manually moving each state and setting it up myself, but that would really be a pain.

You're not going to find it pre separated.. just do it yourself. the 2-3 hrs you spend looking for it, you coulda had it done a few times. :thumb:

MindsEyeOpen

do a negative outline (inline) of each state. They will be distorted (lose some detail) but it will work. Just don't pick too much of an inline. Then delete the original outline shapes

:doh:

I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that myself. Forest for the trees type thing I suppose.

Thanks!

Billct2

If you have a good vector file you could do an inline/outline and delete the original about 5 minutes.

MindsEyeOpen

You're not going to find it pre separated.. just do it yourself. the 2-3 hrs you spend looking for it, you coulda had it done a few times. :thumb:

It isn't so much the time that it would take, really. I have started to do it myself several times but the results just don't look that great.

Pat Whatley

Don't know if it's clean enough for what you're doing but here's one I did a couple of years ago. We screen printed them on poster board so third graders could color in the states as they learned about them. The map in the pdf is in vector format. If you can't extract it shoot me an email and I'll send you the eps. It doesn't have Alaska and Hawaii, I can't remember why.

signsinseconds@gmail.com

Attachments

• map.pdf
    136.9 KB · Views: 119

MindsEyeOpen

Don't know if it's clean enough for what you're doing but here's one I did a couple of years ago. We screen printed them on poster board so third graders could color in the states as they learned about them. The map in the pdf is in vector format. If you can't extract it shoot me an email and I'll send you the eps.

signsinseconds@gmail.com

Actually, that is absolutely perfect! Thanks!

HulkSmash

i just took pats vector, deleted the background, offset the path by like -.02, cut and pasted it in a new document. Worked pretty well.. good luck

Pat Whatley

Leave my artwork alone. You want to mess with some artwork you go autotrace your own map. I spent countless minutes on that...it was not meant to be toyed with. I think the lack of oxygen in the air up in Denver is messing with your judgement. :noway:

MindsEyeOpen

Leave my artwork alone. You want to mess with some artwork you go autotrace your own map. I spent countless minutes on that...it was not meant to be toyed with. I think the lack of oxygen in the air up in Denver is messing with your judgement. :noway:

LOL!

Luckily for me, I didn't have to change a thing. It worked great. I'll post pics of the sample I'm working on as soon as it is done.

jayhawksigns

Did something similar last year, 14' routered pvc, getting a map to work took a bit but I am happy with the final outcome. Let me know if you need another option to work from.

Attachments

• wall map.jpg
    wall map.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 73

MindsEyeOpen

Did something similar last year, 14' routered pvc, getting a map to work took a bit but I am happy with the final outcome. Let me know if you need another option to work from.

That is very similar in concept to what I am working on. It is for the lobby of a companies main office. I'm reversing the map and applying it to the back of the glass wall and then putting location markers on the front side of the wall to show their various locations and give it some depth.

I hope it comes out as cool in the end as it looks in my mind right now. :Big Laugh

HulkSmash

oh pat,

How could i ever make it up to you? Oh, i know.

I present to you the tie dye unicorn vector.

thank me later :smile:

Attachments

• Pro_unicorn.pdf
    517.6 KB · Views: 79

JR's

Colorado, I hope you dont get up set but I needed a Tie Dye horse. so I messed with your unicorn a little. ;-} snip snip.

JR lol

Pat Whatley

Sweet! I can sell the heck out of some rainbow unicorn window stickers, especially if I make him look like he's peeing on something!

Ha Ha Sucker....I'm gonna be rich!