• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USB help

Just Me

on my back up computer i am running windows xp, i use it just for my other vinyl cutter and yesterday i installed a cheap lexmark printer. After installing it i cant get the usb port to work now where i plug it in or one of the usb ports on the front where i plug my flash drive in. I plug my flash drive back into my other computer it works fine. I went and uninstalled the printer setup and drivers hoping that would help...any ideas? when i plug a usb flash drive in now it says "usb drive not recognized"

thanks for any help-

Ken

Check the device manager to see if there is an issue there.
Other than the plotter, is there another printer already installed?
May be a conflict there. Delete that if it is not being used.
Cheers!
Ken

Just Me

Check the device manager to see if there is an issue there.
Other than the plotter, is there another printer already installed?
May be a conflict there. Delete that if it is not being used.
Cheers!
Ken
i have un installed all printers and as far as the device manager, how would i know if i had an issue? lol

tanneji

if you open up device manager, anything that is wrong etc will appear with a yellow triangle or red circle with exclaimation mark. might be a driver issue with your usb controller. in device manager, find your usb host, right click it, uninstall it and then reboot. windows will find the driver for it automatically and reinstall it.

Jen Goodwin

I'd love to know the answer to this question as well!! I installed an Epson printer and ever since then - my USB's don't work. I always have to unplug the printer and then they work, then I have to plug the printer back in to print and it's a royal PITA! In my device manager - it says all's well.
Do you have a switch on your printer? I have one on mine - we have two computers hooked to the same printer. I thought that may be the issue, but it worked fine with the old printer.

noregrets

Yep, I think I know your problem....happened to me a while back, and drove me nuts.

What you need to do is unplug the power cable from your machine and leave it for 30mins - might pay to unplug all of your usb devices too.

When you power back up it should be fine. What this apparently does is release any charge that the ports are still holding.

Just Me

Yep, I think I know your problem....happened to me a while back, and drove me nuts.

What you need to do is unplug the power cable from your machine and leave it for 30mins - might pay to unplug all of your usb devices too.

When you power back up it should be fine. What this apparently does is release any charge that the ports are still holding.
well it seems to have worked!!:rock-n-roll: thanks for the tip, although i haven't plugged my printer back in yet lol