• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USB Repeater Cables and/or USB over CAT-5

GK

Anyone using this on their printers so you can have your RIP computer in a different room then the printers? Our HP9000s don't work properly with USB cables over 10ft so I am hoping this will remedy the solution. We don't want someone sitting in the same room as the printers all the time. Even though the room is vented out the smell is still there somewhat and overtime -- who knows what kind of damage it will do to you.

DRPSignsNGrafix

I tried using the Extension for usb with repeater in it, for my graphtec cutter and it did not work right. I know use the USB to CAT 5e cable and back to USB and it works great. I got them from Tiger direct.

GK

I tried using the Extension for usb with repeater in it, for my graphtec cutter and it did not work right. I know use the USB to CAT 5e cable and back to USB and it works great. I got them from Tiger direct.

Thats who i was looking at it from =) I figured it would work fine, I've used them before just never on a wide format printer before so i wasn't sure how big the packets sent are etc. Figured it wouldn't be too demanding. Thanks for the input.

GK

my printer just plugs in to CAT5e So i got it plugged into my network. Sorry can't be more help.

Whyyyyy HP decided to not opt for a CAT-5/6 component is beyond me, who knows...it shouldn't even be an option any more lol it should just come with it and USB should be the option.

jiarby

There are a few mfg's of USP Print Servers, but tread cautiously! Used to all be Parallel port & HP Jet Direct was the industry standard, but since printers have embraced USB these kinds of ethernet print servers are a bit klunkier.

GK

There are a few mfg's of USP Print Servers, but tread cautiously! Used to all be Parallel port & JP Jet Direct was the industry standard, but since printers have embraced USB these kinds of ethernet print servers are a bit klunkier.

I hate using USB print servers, HP Jet Direct especially. Some printers run fine on them...others are nightmares.