• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USB to serial conversion kit

Peter Corp

I have recently updated my computer system to Windows 10 and loaded Omega 5. Omega 5 operating system seems to be ok. However the new computer has USB output ports and I have had to purchase USB to serial conversion kits to connect to my existing plotters. I cannot get the conversion kits to operate. Anyone else had this problem?

VTSigns

I had a similar problem a couple months ago when I switched computers and my new computer had windows 10. I ended up having to buy a new usb to serial adapter that had a windows 10 driver for the adapter. If you find such an adapter your problem will be fixed.

TheSnowman

I had to put a card in mine and it worked great once I did that. I never had any luck with the adapters.

Jase

It takes some fiddling, have you updated the driver from the Omega 5 disk? You'll need to go into the folder and locate it, did you have any instructions with the cable? If not I can scan my set in for you?

Peter Corp

Usb to serial conversion

I would prefer to to to get the USB connection to work, but If not I will have to get a serial card.
I have tried to update the driver from the Omega 5 disk. Using the instructions sent with the adapter, which appear to be for windows 7, I connected the USB to serial adapter but it doesn't show up as new hardware or show up as another USB port. The instructions say to load the drivers from the disk once the new hardware shows on the screen.
If you have any different instructions for windows 10 then I would like to get a copy.

Jase

I'm guessing you don;t have the Gerber lead which is straight to USB, no adapter. I'd recommend the Gerber lead or as everyone has said buy a serial card for a few dollars and pop it in, very easy, we bought a few of these from Amazon and they work well on our other machines, no hassle, plug and play.

_Neil

Just a datapoint...
Not all USB-serial converters are created equal, so I've tested different ones for several purposes and found that this one works well for everything so far, including my GSXPlus plotter (with the Gerber serial cable)... http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8/ref=sr_1_1

FWIW, I'm using Win 8.1, which should have the same drivers as Win 10, and Omega 2.6, but you should be fine if the drivers work on the OS.

Bcrawf

Gerber USB to parallel adapter cable for Edge 2

I've been using this USB to parallel cable on my Windows 7/Edge 2 (64bit) with no problems, when I upgraded to Windows 10, I cannot print to the Edge? Is their a driver update for Windows 10 or a work around?
Thanks,
Bruce Crawford

busterboyd

usb to serial

Just bought mine Thursday, and installed and worked perfectly for my edge on windows 10. Automatically found the driver on the 5.0 software. The installation manual was more confusing that the actual task was. Omega driver had two choices. Usb to serial, or usb to parallel.

xDaemoNx

i recommend pci / pci-e to paralell and serial over any usb to paralell/serial. i haven't tested the gerber specific recommended usb though but
my deltaco pcie to serial paralell works flawless and no issues what so ever

Lorie

I have just loaded Omega 3.0 onto a Dell Computer 64 bit, Windows 10. My Gerber HS15 plus plotter and Edge 2 are not communicating can someone enlighten me as to what I need to do.

timgo

Graphics Designer
I have recently updated my computer system to Windows 10 and loaded Omega 5. Omega 5 operating system seems to be ok. However the new computer has USB output ports and I have had to purchase USB to serial conversion kits to connect to my existing plotters. I cannot get the conversion kits to operate. Anyone else had this problem?

Everything you need is a usb serial converter cable for $12.

Dan Murdoch

I have just "HAD" to upgrade to Gerber Omega6 software form Omega 5 because the key burnt out. 5 no longer supported. Omega 6 does not support parallel port just USB, I still have not been able to get the system to run , fortunately I also have a 5 and key as a backup. I am waiting for a techy to return that knows how to set it up from Overseas after the Christmas break, patience is a virtue but 6 weeks is a bit of a stretch, I have 2 Omega 6 programs on 2 different computers and both just don`t want to work, note I am using windows XP pro systems. Will keep you posted as asap.

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
With the Gerber USB to serial adapters, you have to go into the device manager and see what port number it is assigned to, then in the Add plotter box, make sure that you're selecting the correct port. If the port number doesn't show as available in the Add plotter box, go back to the device manager and look under the advanced settings. You should be able to change the assigned port number there.
Many people try to set up the plotter as communicating via USB in Gerber - it doesn't work that way. Select the appropriate com port and you're good to go - this applies to any USB to Serial port adapter (for plotters without USB connectivity) that I've seen out there. And (almost) without saying, load the driver from the Omega disk or download from GSPinc.com.

The USB to Parallel adapter (for Edge connectivity) is different, you need to tell the Add vinyl printer dialog that you are connecting via USB and then go into the properties of that set up and make sure that you select the correct USB settings and make to click preferences on you way out.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year to all.

Vinyldog

And if you're wondering if there is any way you won't use win10 the answer is no. You will be assimilated.