• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

usb to serial driver issues switching from xp to 7

Mike Larsen

Basically my old puter totally fried so I had to buy a new one with windows 7 now I cant get the right driver for the corel software and the mimaki plotter to communicate. Has anyone else had & sucessfully solved this problem. Truly Mike

signswi

You're going to have to clarify. You're looking for a Mimaki driver for Win7? Which plotter? Why are you using USB to Serial? Have you tried XP compatibility mode?

Mike Larsen

I am using usb to serial because its my only option there and I do believe I have tried the xp compatability mode as windows trouble shooter has done that for me unless I am mistaken. How would you recommend setting xp compatability mode ?

jemmyell

Are you using a USB to serial hardware converter or the Virtual COM ports? If you are using the Belkin USB to serial converter then download the driver for Windows Vista from the Belkin website. That's what worked for my daughter's Win 7 laptop to talk to our GCC PUMA III.

-James Leonard

signswi

jemmyell's suggestion is a good one, whenever you can't find Win7 drivers try the Vista drivers they usually work as it's the same underlying OS. 7 is just Vista with a UI refresh and less aggressive user warnings.

Mike Larsen

Yes I talked to a very knowledgeable Radio shack person and I downloaded a new driver for vista but I still is not properly installing. He thought maybe the cable is bad or too old a version for the new driver.

Mike Larsen

I'm running out of the serial port off my plotter with an adapter attached to that plug for the usb cable to hook up to

jemmyell

If you can't make what you have work, buy the belkin. It is not expensive and it does work with Win 7 as long as you use the Vista driver.

-James

Mike Larsen

problem solved

I went to prolific.com downloaded thier usb to serial driver installer and was able to install my 2.0 driver but got the "cannot start (code 10) error notice or whatever so I went back to prolific and read up on that error code and found out my old cable was not gonna cut it so I went to Radio Shack and bought the Gigaware 6ft usb-a to serial cableran thier driver installation cd & end of problem.

Mike Larsen

Thanks so much!!

Thank you all for all your replie. I found the prolific stuff through Belkins site. Your input got me back in business. This is a great site, I am so glad I joined. Truly, Mike