• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USCutter Laserpoint 24" Vinyl Cutter?

foridesign

I'm thinking about buying a USCutter Laserpoint 24" Vinyl Cutter and wanted some feedback on if it is a good cutter to start out on? Does anyone know anything about the cutter or has one themselves?

rcook99

If I were in your shoes I would either purchase a new brand name cutter (Graphtec,Roland,Summa) to name a few. If you are not in a hurry and watch ebay you can find a used brand name machine for around $600 on up. Stay away from all the cat named cutters. Good Luck.

Raulrdz

Most here will frown on the lower price Chinese cutters, I started out with a US Cutter refine, but have moved on since. I still have the cutter as a back up. It was very basic but worked well and paid itself off quickly, having said that, I was one of the lucky ones, there are tons of posts on the US Cutter forums concerning problems with these cutters, for a few hundred dollars more you can get yourself a roland cutter.

The laser on the US Cutter as I understand it, helps you align your registration marks, but it is not a true contour cut machine, it does not have an opus or arms device. Save your money and buy a good cutter, you won't regret it.

Jim Doggett

I'm thinking about buying a USCutter Laserpoint 24" Vinyl Cutter and wanted some feedback on if it is a good cutter to start out on? Does anyone know anything about the cutter or has one themselves?

Are you cutting vinyl, or thinking in terms of contour-cutting digital prints?

foridesign

With the budget that I'm on at the moment I need to start with something cheap but gets the job done. I will be cutting vinyl only. I'm sure it will paid itself off quickly! I have clients that are calling me with work like crazy because I stepped down from a position with a very well known company worldwide because I couldn't handel it anymore, they don't understand how a Sign & Graphics shop should be run. I thought it was me but now the clients have learned who was really behind the work the requested. I know about the top name cutters & printers, the budgets just isn't there yet. I do have a job that was called in yesterday that will carry my budget up to meet the price of buying a top cutters by the end of the month. I NEED A CUTTER TODAY AT A LOW PRICE!

Thanks you all for replying!

Last edited:

Air Art Girl

run.......run away fast.

Seriously, if you are considering being in the sign business, start with the best equipment you can get. Stay name brand with an excellent history of service. I prefer Rolands but there are other great brands.

Jim Doggett

Then you're probably OK with an eBay/Made In China cutter. They'll do the job, albeit, you'll want to keep an eye on longer runs. Also, small text can be tougher to weed than it is on Graphtec and Summa (premium) or Roland (pro-class) cutters.

To explain, there are a few cutter makers in China, but myraid companies in the US that put their name on them. We too have private labeled a Chinese cutter for the eBay market. It's made by Redsail, which in our testing has proven better than the cutters we've seen previously. But they're a bit higher in price than the low-end folks, like US Cutter, DESAY (Master) and SeikiTech.

Best,

Jim

theskipman_98

Unless it was what I call tractor fed, which it is not, the laser would be fairly useless. I do have a Chinese plotter (Refine). It's ok for small projects, but does not compare to a good plotter as far as quality and durability. The tracking with it, I would not trust anything over 4', maybe 5'.
If you can afford it, I would look at a used Graphtec , or something like a Gerber HS15.