• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USDA mandating calorie restrictions in schools

WildWestDesigns

If people followed your logic, nothing would ever get started.

No one waits til they have all their ducks in a row to pull the trigger on anything, unless your buying a toothbrush or pack of cigarettes. Rich countries, poor countries, smart, dumb or whatever..... humans always do things on impulse and nothing more.

That's not true. I've known people (and it's even being done more now then it used to be) that are waiting until they are more financially secure then what it used to be to have kids.

Again though, that comes with more education about things. It used to be that women over 32 had a higher risk of not completing parturition. We see a lot more having kids after that age. Rather or not that's good either in other respects is something else.

However, regardless if it's planned or impulse, the full brunt is on the parent(s) and that was the main point that I was trying to get at.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's not true. I've known people (and it's even being done more now then it used to be) that are waiting until they are more financially secure then what it used to be to have kids.

Again though, that comes with more education about things. It used to be that women over 32 had a higher risk of not completing parturition. We see a lot more having kids after that age. Rather or not that's good either in other respects is something else.

However, regardless if it's planned or impulse, the full brunt is on the parent(s) and that was the main point that I was trying to get at.

Nah..... you're mixing those who care and give a darn with those that just go and use the school as a baby-sitter, feeding pen and storage unit until they either get back from work, off the street or just waking up. I'm talking about the majority of abusers.... not the real users.

I know people..... many people, who drop their kids off at a baby-sitter at 6 in the morning, then they're taken by bus to school, do the school thing all day, dropped off at a day center until the parents pick them up at 6, in time to take them to Mickie D's, then they play on the computer [both parents and kids], off to bed and then repeat this whole scenario for 5 days a week. How is that any better ?? Where the quality family time ??

WildWestDesigns

I know people..... many people, who drop their kids off at a baby-sitter at 6 in the morning, then they're taken by bus to school, do the school thing all day, dropped off at a day center until the parents pick them up at 6, in time to take them to Mickie D's, then they play on the computer [both parents and kids], off to bed and then repeat this whole scenario for 5 days a week. How is that any better ?? Where the quality family time ??

Unfortunately, I know some of those too.

Joe Diaz

Darn those schools for feeding kids a more healthy meal... Darn them. Here's a tip. You don't like what they are serving, then send your kid to school with a sack lunch. Problem solved.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Darn those schools for feeding kids a more healthy meal... Darn them. Here's a tip. You don't like what they are serving, then send your kid to school with a sack lunch. Problem solved.

:ROFLMAO: That's so true, but so dated. Around here, they don't let the kids use bags causin' they'd carry their guns and drugs in them.

I'm not sure, but I don't think I ever see kids carrying those old lunch pails/buckets anymore....... and brownbaggin' is so UNcool.

cajun312

A lot of schools won't let students bring their own lunch unless it meets federal standards. I always thought mom knew best.....

Joe Diaz

A lot of schools won't let students bring their own lunch unless it meets federal standards. I always thought mom knew best.....

Really? I've never heard of that before. What do you mean by "a lot of schools"? They don't do that here.

cajun312

Really? I've never heard of that before. What do you mean by "a lot of schools"? They don't do that here.

Maybe it's not everywhere, this is the story I remembered seeing on the news.

A North Carolina elementary school forced a preschool student to eat cafeteria chicken nuggets for lunch on Jan. 30 after officials reportedly determined that her homemade meal wasn’t up to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s standards for healthfulness, according to a report from the Carolina Journal.

The newspaper reported that the four-year-old girl brought a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, potato chips and apple juice in her packed lunch from home. That meal didn’t meet with approval from the government agent who was on site inspecting kids’ lunches that day.

The Department of Health and Human Services’ Division of Child Development and Early Education requires that all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs must meet USDA guidelines. Meals, the guidelines say, must include one serving each of meat, milk and grain and two servings of fruit or vegetables. Those guidelines apply to home-packed lunches as well as cafeteria meals.

Move In Media

from the allergen article I linked above: "Many states have laws that require children whose lunches are inadequate, including North Carolina, where recently a school cafeteria worker replaced a child's bagged lunch from home with cafeteria chicken nuggets. Schools that receive funding from the school lunch program are required to provide adequate nutrition to all children, so if a child's lunch is deemed inadequate by school staff, the school is required by law to feed that child something from the school cafeteria. This is why the sandwich given to Liana was part of the school lunch program."

ICeMAnAbk

USDA is going to request a bigger federal budget for this watch dogging if they start getting into it more and more. imagine the amount of schools involved nationwide with changing menu items to meet the calorie standards. now, break it up by districts, times by.. hmm 4 federal employees to watchdog. it's going to get expensive.

One thing the government knows how to do, is spend your money. There is no "Free" lunch. you pay for it either by school taxes or having to give your kids money. never had a free meal, always had to pay. I was reading a few articles mentioning some schools give you a tray, has a bunch of stuff on it, most kids are throwing it away & literally smuggling junk food in school.

Poor stoners. ;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why are there soda vending machines in cafeterias these days ?? What food group do they fall under ??

visual800

fitness is not the answer. our food is killing us. What we eat today is plastic synthetic crap. I had to switch to whole foods cause of kidneys. switching to whole foods brought down the cholesterol and the blood pressure the numbers for the kidneys improved. I don't wanna sound like the conspiracy doomer but I have no doubts the food industry owns the government and they in turn "think" they know what we need to eat.

When you go to walmart and pick up peanut butter and look a the ingredients and you cant pronounce them and then go to a whole foods store and look at the ingredients it says peanut butter. And walmart has all the "organic s**t"! Its nothing but a lie. Everything you read on labels is a lie to deceive and sell the product.

I believe our food is causing us cancer, causing us to be sicker and causing all other sorts of health problems

WildWestDesigns

fitness is not the answer. our food is killing us.

I don't believe that it's the only part to the end answer, but it is a component of it. One that is really overlooked, because it's one of the hardest things to do on a consistent basis, for whatever reason.

switching to whole foods brought down the cholesterol and the blood pressure the numbers for the kidneys improved.

You do realize that aerobics will achieve the same thing, among other benefits?

Now, that all means crap if you eat nothing but bad food all the time and how much more food do you eat versus how much you exercise. Imagine how much better off you would be if you also did aerobics.

Eating healthy only gets you so far. Are bodies are designed to work physically. Our bodies actually feel better after a work out.

When you go to walmart and pick up peanut butter and look a the ingredients and you cant pronounce them and then go to a whole foods store and look at the ingredients it says peanut butter. And walmart has all the "organic s**t"! Its nothing but a lie. Everything you read on labels is a lie to deceive and sell the product.

You can get that same type of listing at the whole foods store too. It all depends on what products you are looking at.

Now I do agree with you that the more your food is processed, the less it's good for you. That's when help your body process the food (by working out) can help your health out in the long run. Moderation in everything is the best way to go about it. Hell, even water can kill us by drinking too much of it. And I'm talking about good clean water.

I believe our food is causing us cancer, causing us to be sicker and causing all other sorts of health problems

Yea, you indulge too much into anything, it's going to cause you to get sick in the long run. Rather it's processed or not.

Depending on your genetics, sometimes you can eat less or more though. Just depends.

ICeMAnAbk

Correction: govt knows how to spend your money inefficiently.

I stand corrected.

it's amazing.... apparently last year they did a census for 2011's spending budgets. The State Dept bought over $2,000,000 worth of these $1,000 computer chairs.

USDA is going to be buying this **** soon enough. The government budget program works like this...

after the yearly budget hits, they split it quarterly. most of them build the money to the end of the year as an emergency fund. when september hits, you'll see government spending sprees. I've seen $6,000 of chairs, $10,000 in tools, $30,000 on a vehicle that's never used. This is on the lowest level. times that by a few thousand shops. Reason they do this, is if they don't use their budget, the federal government reduces their funding big time. however, if you use your budget (Military MUST buy American thank god), they increase your budget. It's not the lower level people doing this, it's the fat cats. They want bigger budgets. This is almost every government agency doing this on a large scale. They thought GSA was bad, wait til they actually probe more of these federal establishments.

ICeMAnAbk

fitness is not the answer. our food is killing us. What we eat today is plastic synthetic crap. I had to switch to whole foods cause of kidneys. switching to whole foods brought down the cholesterol and the blood pressure the numbers for the kidneys improved. I don't wanna sound like the conspiracy doomer but I have no doubts the food industry owns the government and they in turn "think" they know what we need to eat.

This is so true. I do believe food in this country is getting out of control with preservatives and such.

I was in the middle east in a rather westernized area, however, muslims because of halaa don't use preservatives. freshest food I've had in a long time.

I came back state side and had a few things with preservatives. I was litterally puking. We're one of the few nations that will pump all sorts of chemicals into food.