• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

use tax

149motorsports

im from pa and pay 7% tax, just bought a graphics cd off ebay, called the state today and said i had to pay 7% on on 150$, which is $160.50, for business deductions can i write off the whole $160.50? thanks

SignBurst PCs

im from pa and pay 7% tax, just bought a graphics cd off ebay, called the state today and said i had to pay 7% on on 150$, which is $160.50, for business deductions can i write off the whole $160.50? thanks

Wow! You are a honest person... use tax is so often overlooked! Good for you!

OneUpTenn

$260.50... plus .50 a mile to go pick it up....plus the $20 meal you ate on the way there where you talked to the clerk about a sign......

jiarby

Ask on a CPA/Tax forum, not a sign forum!

Here in AZ I would say that the graphics CD would be exempt from Use Tax under Exemption #17: "Machinery or equipment used directly in the following processes: JOB PRINTING. " (AZ TPT Form 5000)

Maybe even #3: "Tangible personal property to be incorporated into a taxable contracting project"

Actual mileage may vary... consult your local tax weenie. I doubt AZ statutes apply in PA.

149motorsports

Wow! You are a honest person... use tax is so often overlooked! Good for you!

I rather pay the few bucks than it come haunt me later on, dont need more problems:biggrin:..yea so i ask the person on the phone, i said the cd will be used for making what i sell, i told her im not reselling the cd, but then cant all businesses expenses (this being one) be written off on schedule C form 1040 as equipment including the tax i paid as if i bought it locally??

BobM

I would call it "supplies" and write if off as a job expense. I only report "assets" costing over $500 that have a 3 year life span or more.

B Snyder

jiarby is correct. If you have sign making related questions I think you're in the right place to get a correct answer from a sign making professional 99% of the time. You should seek out the advice of a tax professional for tax related questions.
FWIW, I would never trust information that I received verbally from a state employee.

S

SignTech

7% ? which PA? Ours is 6% was the Ebay seller in PA? Hell ya it helps you produce right? I write it all off ..........

jiarby

The person answering the phone at the tax office will ALWAYS say that you have to pay tax. They do not want to be liable for dispensing incorrect advice. If I was running the tax office they would just say "I dunno... check with your CPA"

8.55% here in QC

149motorsports

yes, i told her it is what produces my product, bought out of pa, i pay 6% state of PA then 1% extra for living in allegheny, sucks huh lol...

7% ? which PA? Ours is 6% was the Ebay seller in PA? Hell ya it helps you produce right? I write it all off ..........

Checkers

I just went though this recently and your safest bet is to consult with your CPA. Although I would not argue with Jiarby's comments. :)
In theory, if you resell the graphics and charge the client tax on the purchase of the clip art and graphics, you should not have to pay sales tax.

Checkers

jiarby

I believe my comments are valid for ARIZONA.... each state has it's own sales tax laws and exemptions. You have to do your own research with your local tax authority, or (as I originally advised) consult a local CPA.

gabagoo

I generally write off anything and everything that is used for my business. Why on earth wouldn't you?