Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

use tax

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by 149motorsports, Oct 16, 2008.

1. 149motorsports

149motorsports Active Member

Aug 8, 2006
    PITTSBURGH
    im from pa and pay 7% tax, just bought a graphics cd off ebay, called the state today and said i had to pay 7% on on 150$, which is $160.50, for business deductions can i write off the whole $160.50? thanks

Tags:
  2. SignBurst PCs

SignBurst PCs Very Active Member

Wow! You are a honest person... use tax is so often overlooked! Good for you!

3. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    I think you paid $260.50.....didn't you?

4. OneUpTenn

OneUpTenn Active Member

Sep 23, 2007
    $260.50... plus .50 a mile to go pick it up....plus the $20 meal you ate on the way there where you talked to the clerk about a sign......

5. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    Ask on a CPA/Tax forum, not a sign forum!

Here in AZ I would say that the graphics CD would be exempt from Use Tax under Exemption #17: "Machinery or equipment used directly in the following processes: JOB PRINTING. " (AZ TPT Form 5000)

Maybe even #3: "Tangible personal property to be incorporated into a taxable contracting project"

Actual mileage may vary... consult your local tax weenie. I doubt AZ statutes apply in PA.

6. 149motorsports

Aug 8, 2006
    PITTSBURGH

I rather pay the few bucks than it come haunt me later on, dont need more problems:biggrin:..yea so i ask the person on the phone, i said the cd will be used for making what i sell, i told her im not reselling the cd, but then cant all businesses expenses (this being one) be written off on schedule C form 1040 as equipment including the tax i paid as if i bought it locally??

7. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    I would call it "supplies" and write if off as a job expense. I only report "assets" costing over $500 that have a 3 year life span or more.

8. B Snyder

B Snyder Very Active Member

Jan 25, 2004
    jiarby is correct. If you have sign making related questions I think you're in the right place to get a correct answer from a sign making professional 99% of the time. You should seek out the advice of a tax professional for tax related questions.
    FWIW, I would never trust information that I received verbally from a state employee.

9. 149motorsports

Aug 8, 2006
    PITTSBURGH
    sorry, i just thought i would ask since people encounter same questions i might have when buying and doing use tax.

10. SignTech

SignTech Guest

7% ? which PA? Ours is 6% was the Ebay seller in PA? Hell ya it helps you produce right? I write it all off ..........

11. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    The person answering the phone at the tax office will ALWAYS say that you have to pay tax. They do not want to be liable for dispensing incorrect advice. If I was running the tax office they would just say "I dunno... check with your CPA"

8.55% here in QC

12. 149motorsports

Aug 8, 2006
    PITTSBURGH
    yes, i told her it is what produces my product, bought out of pa, i pay 6% state of PA then 1% extra for living in allegheny, sucks huh lol...

13. SignTech

SignTech Guest

wow didn't know that ....... ouch!

14. 149motorsports

Aug 8, 2006
    PITTSBURGH
    pittsburgh and philly counties pay the extra 1%

15. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    I just went though this recently and your safest bet is to consult with your CPA. Although I would not argue with Jiarby's comments. :)
    In theory, if you resell the graphics and charge the client tax on the purchase of the clip art and graphics, you should not have to pay sales tax.

Checkers

16. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    I believe my comments are valid for ARIZONA.... each state has it's own sales tax laws and exemptions. You have to do your own research with your local tax authority, or (as I originally advised) consult a local CPA.

17. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I generally write off anything and everything that is used for my business. Why on earth wouldn't you?