• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used Bmw Parts

Des6139

Hi i have a customer,he is selling used BMW parts and wants a signs to say so
He is open to the name Q used parts,but iam not sure if this is legal

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 145

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Don't know the laws in Ireland but in the US it would definitely be illegal because it implies connection and authorization with and from BMW.

OldPaint

you can say BMW USED PARTS....... as that is what they are!!!!!
JUST DONT USE THE LOGO!!!!
had a shop in sarasota, did work on JAGS...........
his sign had the words JAGUAR REPAIR.
jaguar came after him..................Told him he could use the name of the car BUT..he couldnt use the drop down J, AS IN THE LOGO!!!!!!

JManes7

Could you just shadow in an outline of the BMW Logo in a solid color? If you can't figure out what I am going for, i'll post a design later. I think doing that would change the Logo enough to where it would not be Trademarked anymore.

Marlene

Who Wants Used Parts??

everyone who has one and needs a part:wink:

go with the words, no logo and you'll have a sign that will tell people what they need to know and not break any logo use rules

Steve Werner

Interesting question. I have a friend who owns an independent BMW auto repair shop. In the original artwork for his advertising he used the BMW Roundel ( logo ) on his advertising. Within one month he received a letter from BMW North America telling him it was illegal to use their Roundel ( logo ) in his advertising. Upon investigation with an attorney he found out he would advertise all he wanted that he worked on BMW's, just couldn't use the Roundel. I'm sure BMW would feel the same way about that in any part of the world.

Des6139

Thanks for all your input guys.
As it happens ,today customer wants to do away with the Q a go with full roundel (logo) but after reading threads i will have to advise him not to.

Des6139

Just an update one year later
customer got solicitors letter this month,
instant removal & destruction of signs or €5000 fine.
If the signs remain up he will become liable for any of BMW Ireland,losses while the signs are up :ROFLMAO:
Signs are down today

Billct2

Well that just proves the point about copyrights...
but I do have a question...what if you bought a licensed BMW logo sign
and installed it next to your sign that read BMW Used Parts?

Brandon708

Well that just proves the point about copyrights...
but I do have a question...what if you bought a licensed BMW logo sign
and installed it next to your sign that read BMW Used Parts?

I'm not sure if i'm correct but....

Just because you buy a sign doesn't mean you can use it if it's a registered trademark to draw business. There wouldn't be a difference if you found it or bought it.

It would be like buying a old Sunco Gas Station sign and putting it in front of a gas station that sells lower quality gas.

It's still copyright infringement.

Billct2

I can see that, but I've sen lots of "aftermarket" vendors that have Harley, Ford, Mercedes etc signs, logos, posters etc and I don't think I've ever seen this be a problem if it's not used as part of a "logo" sign or ad....definately a grey area

Brandon708

I can see that, but I've sen lots of "aftermarket" vendors that have Harley, Ford, Mercedes etc signs, logos, posters etc and I don't think I've ever seen this be a problem if it's not used as part of a "logo" sign or ad....definately a grey area

grey indeed.

but i'm sure to those companies they are in black and white.