• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used CX400 for $1500, worth it?

rm25x

I was looking to upgrade to a Roland, and was going to purchase a GX 24" machine, but came across a used CX400 for $1500. Guy says its 4 years ago, and he has 2 other cutters so I don't know how many hours are on it.

I can't find what the difference between the CX series and the GX series is. I like the idea of a larger cutter, but not if its not as good of a cutter as the GX series.

Thanks in advance

DRamm76

Roland vinyl cutters are work horses and last a very long time. I had mine in 1997 and it's STILL working today. One of the biggest changes from the CX to the GX was the introduction of the Servo Motor.

$1500 isn't a bad price at all but I'm sure there are a million people on here that will tell you "it's too much money". If you are sure it's in great shape and the guy has all the parts and accessories and you can use it enough to make money, then I don't see why not.

If you get yourself a vinyl cutter for $1500 and can't make your investment back on it in less than 8-10 months, then it's time for a new game plan. That's just my opinion.

FatCat

Not to argue with DRamm, but the only difference between a CX-400 and a GX-400 is the optical eye on the GX. Otherwise they are identical in cut force, speed, and build other than color. (And yes the CX also has the digital control servo motor.)

*I just sold my CX-400 about 6 months ago when I replaced it with a Summa. Great machine, built like a tank and only issue I ever had in over 2 years of usage was the pinch sensor ($50 part) went out right before I sold it.

Pat Whatley

Roland sucks.

We had tracking issues on all four Roland plotters we had. Cutting more than 10' at a time was a challenge, the vinyl just would not stay aligned. Bought a Summa D60...the heavens opened up, beams of sunshine lit it as it was carried in the door. You could hear the angels sing as we unpacked it, off in the distance a drumroll began as we assembled it and loaded the drivers. Within ten minutes of opening the box birds were singing and employees were doing the happy dance. Within an hour we were already sending 30' cut jobs to the plotter, by the end of the first week we'd let it cut 140' of 1" vinyl letters at one go...merely click CUT and go home. No worries, no problems. Three of the Rolands got sold to flea market/race car guys, one has been in a closet as an unused backup....our three Summas are working great.

Summa D60, excellent plotter, unbelievable service and support, and built to last.

OldPaint

roland CX-400 should be a 40-46" inch cutter. i have CX-300, and its a full 30" material handling.
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $1500 is not a bad price. new that same plotter was $4000.00!!!!!
tracking issues with rolands are mostly "operator error." i can set mine, forward feed the material......PRIOR TO CUTTING, to see how it will track. ive done runs on mine 30 feet long!!!!!!!

rm25x

Everyone dreams of having a Suma lol, someday I hope to have one.... Right now its just not in the budget as I have been in business for just a little over a year now, and had made a few mistakes on equipment that wasted a lot of money. Live and learn I guess...

Thanks for the help guys.

LizardWraps

I have the same machine.. its great, but hope you dont have win 7.. No Driver, and roland has no support for it.. Also the machine doesn't have auto reg.mark sensor.. You have to do it manual.. Other than that Its a workhorse!!!

David Wright

He's not in Hamtramck is he? I looked at one with this shady guy.
The guy I met originally listed it as GX series. Still looks like a toy compared to Summa, Gerber, Allen Datagraph or Graphtec.

Replicator

I have the same machine.. its great, but hope you dont have win 7.. No Driver, and roland has no support for it.. Also the machine doesn't have auto reg.mark sensor.. You have to do it manual.. Other than that Its a workhorse!!!

You can use the GX-400 plotter settings without issue, I do it everyday !

OldPaint

same driver for XP RUNS ON WINDOWS 7!!!!!!!
i had the WINDOWS 7 RC, version, was cutting from corel to roland NO PROBLEM!!!