• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used Kongsberg machine

10sacer

Hello all,

Looking for some insight in items to be aware of when investigating the purchase of a used Kongsberg cutter/router with conveyor.
What questions do I need to ask?
What mechanical things should we find out about?

Thanks

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm not familiar with the specifics of that machine, but my advice (for any new equipment, really) would be:
- Firstly, make sure the machine will work with whatever production software you use- or, at least, that any required software is relatively easy to use. Learning new software is a hug time suck (even though it's sometimes the only option).
- No matter what the manufacturer might say, it's not really a router table. I'm not saying it won't cut, but it is absolutely not a machine you want to make channel letters or thick, dimensional aluminum items with. If that's not what you're planning on using it for, no biggie- but it's a consideration.
- Ask to see a demonstration of the machine cutting materials you'd use it for, and provide your own file(s) so you can determine whether the items were cut correctly.
- Inspect the machine top to bottom.
- Check rails for degradation (nicks/gouges/rust- but hopefully they'd be stainless). If there are gears/toothed rails, make sure all teeth are good (none missing).
- Look for wear/nicks/etc. on the belt. I've never seen any equipment that uses a belt not have a crazy high price to replace said belt.
- Cosmetic damage, though not usually a big deal, can indicate poor maintenance, so make sure to check everything. If you think you did, I'd suggest checking again.
- Ask how many hours are on the spindle (they may or may not know). Most machines have a good life for those things, but they do wear out.

Kongsberg, from what I've heard, is a quality machine, but read everything you can find online about the one you're looking at- particularly reviews (good and bad), because that's a big investment (even used) to have buyer's remorse about.

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
I'm a former Kongsberg FSE. What type or series of table/tool set you are after? There are different points of concerns depending on that.

LarryB

I have owned a Kongsberg X24 for over a year and love it. Make sure you get the higher horsepower spindle if you plan on doing a lot of router cutting.

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
North Korean solid-fuel ballistic missile?

Or maybe rathe XN24? )))
Main table wise it's a reliable guy capable to handle the worst owners attitude towards maintenance which means NO maintenance. There are very few main consumables, althou YOU HAVE to check each X1, X2 and Y axes reduces prior to purchasing. There is a main gear made out of carbon/textolite which tend to wear out after 5-7 years of too intense usage along with poor maintenance (it depends, they can actually last forever is greased enough and there is no backlash). It's a damn troublesome and costly to replace them.
Secondly, check the axes motors. They usually require replacement once in three years. You can just notice the "metallic" noisy sound if they are close to the end of life.
Also pay attention to the spindle total run hours and condition of the Vibro-Cut tool.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
When the time comes, if you need assistance with consumables for the XN24 (blades, router bits, cutting mats) feel free to reach out to our team at VTX Tools. We can assist with product selection based on the media that you're cutting and help with speed/feed rates, etc...

You should consider becoming a merchant member if you're going to push your services. Just sayin'