• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

used printer pricing? the science of making an offer...

Monsoon190

What does one look for when considering a used (3-8 year old) VersaArt/Camm or SolJet printer?

What offer would you make on a 3 year old 54" VersaArt assuming a basic setup and good maintenance history? Also assuming no part replacement since put into service.

What offer would you make on a 7-8 year old 54" SolJet EX with the same assumptions?

Do both of these use the DX4 heads and are they really $600+ each?

Robert M

Get a test print and have them do a sample print from a file you supply
Roland list on those heads is 1000.00+
I would stay away from the Ex as it has six heads

MrSalumi

Get a test print and have them do a sample print from a file you supply
Roland list on those heads is 1000.00+
I would stay away from the Ex as it has six heads

Unless you want to print in 6 colors. Don't let the possibility of heads going bad influence your decision too much. This business is full of great profit margins and unexpected expenses. If you plan for both you'll be fine.

Mike_Comstock

Have a certified tech test it and print the service and history reports. Ask Roland for the service history from the serial number.

inkmed

Yes, DX4 solvent head is easy to buy and not expensive now, $660 each.
Roland did not have DX5 head printer.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

Monsoon190

Okay... I pulled the trigger on a 3 year old VersaArt RS-540. The shop I'm purchasing it from is within an hours drive, so I gave them a visit and watched it go through its paces. All jets on all heads are firing nicely, except maybe a half dozen jets with deflections on black. The printer has been in daily use since new in a nice clean shop and looks very well taken care of. The dealer they purchased it from, Bob Martz (Chesapeake Graphics in Westminster, MD) is the same dealer I purchased a NovaJet 4 from eons ago. Bob was a pleasure to work with back then and he's proving to be a good source of information on the RS-540 now. His Roland repair guy is a stones throw from my location. If the head for black holds out for a year or so then I'll consider myself ahead of the game. The shop is waiting for a new 64" VersaCamm from Bob and I'm, in turn, waiting for the RS-540.

Jim Hill

I purchased a used Roland SP-300 from an original owner who maintained the printer himself because of no Roland tech within a reasonable distance.

This is a two headed machine that was purchased new in 2004. I have now had the printer for three years and other then dampers, new cap tops, and a new manifold this printer has performed perfectly and so far both heads show very little drop out.

For the first time I had a Roland tech go over the machine and adjust a few things and he told me that one head had been replaced but the other head is original to the machine.

Buying a used printer can be a mine field if you are not careful and do your homework such as test prints and asking lot's of questions first.

Jim Hill