• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Used Roland advice

mikewohlwend

I am in the market for a printer/cutter. There don't seem to be many Roland's out there, or I don't know where to look.

Here are a couple I found. Let me know what you think

VP-540 - 10hrs away, have seen videos of it printing, comes with software, $4000

SP-540V - 1hr away, comes with software, $6000

SP-300 - 5hrs away, $3500

MikePro

if I were shopping one, I'd be all about the VP for the print speed & quality boost alone. Otherwise, they're basically the same machine but I've heard compliments to the SP's simplicity/durability.

RIP software is ideal too.... uncertain which they include, or if licenses are intended to transfer ownership, but technically you can include a hyperlink to flexi's subscription-based rip software and call it "included"

player

I have owned both. The VP540 (or is it VP540i?) has 4 heads, and something they call "wave technology" that is supposed to help eliminate banding. The 4 heads is an advantage because it doubles the print speed over the 2 head SP540V. The other main advantage is each head has 2 channels. With the SP, the heads are split into 2 colours. This can be a problem with cross contamination. When the heads are sitting in the captops one colour can be sucked up into the other colour for reasons unknown. The VP had 2 channels of each colour so cross contamination is not an issue. The VP is also a smaller machine. It is not as robust, and is prone the mainboard failure. Also the network card is built into the mainboard. So if the network card goes bad, you are looking at replacing the mainboard. The latest price of mainboards I found is around $2300USD. I replaced the mainboard on my VP540i. I had weird printing issues and the dreaded "Processing" network issue.

I guess I would go for the VP540i over an SP540V. It is one if not 2 versions newer, so the technology is more advanced.

But what you need to get is the history off each machine. There is a way to print the history- Hours printing, head strikes, the amount each head has printed. There are also print tests that show the quality and condition of each head. Getting a used machine might be better from a dealer where they offer a year's warranty. But be sure to read the terms of such a warranty. It would need to cover the printer properly.

IsItFasst

I have had an SP-300V for about 10 years now that I bought used. It has been great with an issue here and there. But after owning so long I can normally track down an issue fairly quickly. We have been swamped lately so have been considering picking up another one if the right deal came along and was close to me. But I am concerned about them being outdated with no support. While consumables will still be available for a while I do worry about something like a main board going out. While I can replace the main board if I can find one I don't have a way to transfer the software onto it and Roland techs won't touch them. So it's a gamble on old machines.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The SPs and even the VPs are getting long in the tooth. If you're busy enough to need another machine, have you considered buying something new and 54-60"? You could probably get away with 1 printer if you move away from an SP300. A brand new Mimaki print/cut CJV150-130 is sub $13k and would assume the Rolands are similar.

binki

If you don't know where else to look contact one of the lease companies like Beacon Funding. They can point you to machines for sale, repos and machines that will be coming for sale.

mikewohlwend

The SPs and even the VPs are getting long in the tooth. If you're busy enough to need another machine, have you considered buying something new and 54-60"? You could probably get away with 1 printer if you move away from an SP300. A brand new Mimaki print/cut CJV150-130 is sub $13k and would assume the Rolands are similar.

I don't have a printer. This would be my 1st. And I'd like to buy something new, but I don't have the money for that right now.

If you don't know where else to look contact one of the lease companies like Beacon Funding. They can point you to machines for sale, repos and machines that will be coming for sale.

I will check them out. Thank uou

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't have a printer. This would be my 1st. And I'd like to buy something new, but I don't have the money for that right now.

I will check them out. Thank uou
Ok I read it wrong. Any of those that you looked at are solid. Have them print a file, not just a nozzle check and go look at them.

player

As I said earlier get them to print the full history report. Heads are measured in headshots. There are only so many headshots before the head is going to need replacing. 2 heads will cost $1600 - $2000 not installed. If you install them and do something wrong it will cost more to get someone in to fix your mistakes. So you could be looking at $2000 - $3000 for 2 heads. This is just one thing that could go wrong.

Goatshaver

I bought my first machine used about 2yrs ago, SP-540V, it's been a great machine, maintenance you want to be ready and comfortable with doing stuff yourself. That being said I've done all the maintenance and repairs on my machine without any prior knowledge and It still is printing really great. Just to think about the more expensive parts like player said. Heads are expensive and if you're going to need to replace them soon it may wise to take that into consideration, that's the first thing I'd look at closely when buying these. They are solid machines though get the job done.

mikewohlwend

As I said earlier get them to print the full history report. Heads are measured in headshots. There are only so many headshots before the head is going to need replacing. 2 heads will cost $1600 - $2000 not installed. If you install them and do something wrong it will cost more to get someone in to fix your mistakes. So you could be looking at $2000 - $3000 for 2 heads. This is just one thing that could go wrong.

How do you get the history report?

player

How do you get the history report?
Not sure 100% but I think you go into service mode on the machine then there will a menu item print history or history with the option to print. You will need to ask. Also the head shot count is visible from the menu.