• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used summa any good?

SameDay Signs

My graphtec recently went down and I'm looking to buy a used cutter that contours cuts but don't want to spend the money on a new one since I will be buying a new mimaki all in one later this year. So my question is summa sign pro d1600 any good? It's an older model but I was told it contour cuts and tracs fantastic but I've never used summa so any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks a ton

CES020

We bought an old Summa, older than the one you are listing, I believe. It works fantastic.

The guy complained he was selling it because it was just too slow. It came with a certain cable. It was slow and the communication was one way. In a call to Summa, the tech says "You just need this other cable". Cost like $30 or something. Plugged it in, the machine took off, cutting much faster and had bi-directional communication too!

I tried to buy things like the belt and other things and the tech said not to, just use it. We have and it's worked great. Our Summa is next to our Graphtec and when I have a job, I almost always walk over to the Summa, even though it's probably 10 years older than the Graphtec.

That's been my experience. Other's may vary.

FatCat

Summa has a reputation of being the "Mercedes" of cutters. IMHO Their tracking and cutting accuracy are the best of any roll cutter out there. Plus, they are super reliable and have the absolute BEST tech support of any brand I've ever used.

FrankW

If you want to do contour cutting with the machine you want to buy, I would suggest a S-Class (from 2005) or SummaCut-R (2007) with OPOS X. They have a much better OPOS with better functionality.

The "old" OPOS as used at the SummaSign-Units was developped in 1995 mainly for use with screen prints. It often fails with the density much modern inks and printers delivers specially when the prints are laminated.

There is a possibility to add a new "Eye" to this old plotters (doesn't add functionality like OPOS XY or OPOS Barcode), this should increase reliability, but I'm not shure.

MikeD

Summa equipment is very reliable and accurate in my experience. Their tech support is the best of any company in any industry I've dealt with as well.

Pat Whatley

Buy it. I'll never go back to Roland after using my Summas.

The best thing about Summa, to me, it their support. Call them, tech support answers the phone and they actually know what they're talking about.