• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used VP-540i vs. new VS-540

Doyle

I have been putting off this purchase for a long time, but it is finally time to lay our SP-300v to rest and buy a new printer. I am looking at purchasing one of the following:

Used (refurbished) VP-540i - $16k
Comes with a 1 year parts and labor warranty, has been refurbished to print like brand new. *BONUS* I can trade-in my SP-300v for $4k towards this purchase

or

New VS-540 - $20k
Roland 2 year warranty, all the warm fuzzy feelings that come with buying a new printer. *would have to sell my SP300v on my own, and deal with all of the headaches that come with selling it.*

I do not want to keep the SP300v at all, I want the new printer to completely take its place, so needs to be a print/cutter. (also would like to be rid of this machine to help fund the new purchase, because I want to buy some other new toys as well).

I'm pretty much sold on buying a Roland. The versacamm we have been using for 6+ years has been incredibly reliable and trouble-free, so Roland has some brownie points with me for that. I have been very pleased with that printer (only regret is that I did not buy the sp540).

I'm wondering if anyone that owns or that has owned either or both printers could give me some reviews or pros/cons of each model. From what I understand, the new VS series uses a single-head design and it has been indicated to me that Roland needs to address some profile issues with this printer and how it prints solid colors that I would have no problems printing with the VP (or my current SP, for that matter). I was told that the VS has issues with printing some noise in these solid colors, though I will see first hand when I go to look at them side-by-side.

Thanks in advance for anyone who cares to chime in, I appreciate the input! :thankyou::signs101::U Rock:

Last edited:

DRW

For what it is worth, I had the same scenerio last year. Decided to upgrade from a SP-300v to a 54" or larger, but looking for a Roland only. Also studio space was a concern, and we outsourced the minmal work we had that was larger then the 28" offered on the 300. Was debating the cost/options vs a new vs-540, Sp-540i, and talked to various dealers about refurbs and demos. Came across a dealer, who took in a mint vp-540i which sat for 3 years, and they replaced all lines, all 4 heads, dampers, captop, etc, all OEM. Went and checked it out, was perfect, and I Offered 9200 Cash, and it was a done deal. Aside from the money, the fact that I will never use white ink etc, and I am not really a high volume, (printer printing 10 hours a day etc) made my decision a lot easier. I have done all maintenance and repairs on the Versacamms I have owned, so warranty wasn't an issue. Bigest difference is how much faster it is vs the SP-300.

I am sure the VS-540 vs the VP-540i is knight and day, and won't compare the two since I never owned a VS, however after much research and thought process, with regards to my needs, I have no regrets on my purchase. Do your homework, sweat every detail, and good luck in your endeavor.

tradeup

Not sure how far you are from Chicago but signoutletstore.com has refurbs. I actually went there and compared the models and for my needs ended up purchasing an XC 540 Soljet III.

I wanted a 6 color machine so that is why I chose the Soljet and it was only 18999.99 refurbished and it only comes with a 6 month warranty but I upgraded to a 2 year plan.

My second choice was there VS 640 which refurbished was only 18999.99 as well and I contemplated on it as it has the White and Metallic ink option which I thought was cool but I figured it would be prone to head clogs if I didn't use the metallic or white colors often. But on the up side the VS can be configured for 6 color light magenta and light cyan which produces better colors and do not think you would sacrifice speed in a 6 color machine.

As far as your trade in for 4000.00 you could probably do better on craigslist. Put together a computer put tons of clip art on it. Include some of your tools or equipment and supplies that you would want to upgrade and sell it as a complete package.

I bought a 200.00 computer loaded it up, put with my grommet machine, wall rack some old vinyl that was laying around, my used cutting mat, A cheap trimmer I had, some rulers and a few squeegees and sold for 8000.00 (my old sp 300v)

That allowed me to purchase a larger cutting mat, newer grommet machine, upgraded rulers, and A Roland trimmer. I had the printer listed for 6000.00 by itself and got no leads, as soon as I made it a package it sold within days! And I made sure the buyers were from out of town so I wasn't selling to future competition!

Both machines are awesome but like others say get the best you can afford. So you are not regretting like you are with your 300

redbarn

I have run a vp300 for 5 years and havent had any problems (knock on wood). I love it, rolands are workhorses. Im always surprised that people let the print/cut functionality be a deal breaker. I LOVE the print/cut machine, it is invaluable. Having said that I also have a stand alone plotter to help workflow. Plotters are cheap, why wouldn't you get both and have the most functionality possible? Love my setup and my machines.

CanuckSigns

We've had both, the VS 540 is leaps and bounds better, much faster, better quality, better media handling system.

Get the VS

Doyle

Thanks for the replies, I have decided to go ahead with the VP-540i. I went and looked at it and the machine is in excellent condition. The VP prints quite a bit faster than my SP, fast enough for what we need anyway. A one year parts and labor warranty makes me feel better about it being a used machine. Seems to me you have to be pretty confident in the quality of the machine to back it with a warranty like that, so I will save some money on my purchase so I can make some additional equipment upgrades at the same time. (just ordered a new Dell XPS i7 with 16gb ram and dual 24" monitor setup too, sweet!)