• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used VS-540i vs. TrueVis SG-540

Mainframe

Well, you have make your own decisions when it comes to equipmet purchases, I based mine on having a bunch of versa works files I needed to re-use from my old VP 540 that ran for 10 years so I wanted a print cut Roland.

So I did my research and on this very forum I found a lot of complaints about the SG series, I called my sales rep who had my VG on order and discussed the complaints and he sounded quite surprised, He said he has sold a lot of machines and people are not really complaining about them. I then asked him to give me a phone number of someone who is running one so I could talk to them myself and he gave me the number of a guy running one 3 shifts per day, 24 hours, 6 days a week.

The guy was very happy with his VG 540 and said he has come to rely heavily on it's speed and dependability. (This was a helpful conversation)

So mine came in and much to my surprise it outperforms my old VP in every way.
I don't care about specs, I am not sure how these things are rated, they say it is 900 dpi but the prints are sharper than anything I have ever seen, It makes some of my old VP output look like plain garbage, I am SUPER happy with the solid color output, it prints solid colors that rival cut vinyl, comes in handy many times.

The durability of the prints was my biggest surprise, these prints are bulletproof, I was a sharpie expert with the VP always trying to fix nicked or scratched prints and banners, not any more, the VG prints are rarely flawed or scratched.

As far as speed, this thing prints in less than half the time that my VP did, and the VG does very well unattended.
I often load 4 or 5 4x8 banners on right before lunch and leave only to return and find them all printed and ready to hem.
I as a one man shop don't have a need for a printer that goes any faster than this.

As far as cleaning cycles I don't pay any attention to them. I seem to remember my VP cleaning a lot and this one does clean more, but as far as I can tell it uses a lot less ink when printing I have to buy carts less often now and I charge for my work so the printer cost and the ink is factored in. I feel the output quality, speed and durability of prints is worth a little more ink but I am not seeing a huge overall difference, I do empty the waste bottle more than the VP BUT, I noticed I get a lot more prints from the carts, it seems to just keep on printing and printing without needing changed. Much different than I am used to. I would rather have the heads do what they need to do than dry up and cause me trouble.

Bottom line I think the Ricoh heads in this thing are high end, I judge by performance, (show me the money) and mine so far does what I ask, the machine over all seems much more precision than my old VP and the VP had the Mainboard problem so this VG has a fan in the print head and one in the Main board running constantly so my guess is the old electronics in my VP got hot and stopped working correctly. But it's just a guess.

I really like being able to open my old Versaworks files and reprint files to do a fleet van the same way I did on the VP with the colors matching and all the cut lines working etc.

I am just reporting what I have experienced, I am really glad I bought this so far, for me Versaworks is a huge factor, and the TrueVis ink isn't a step backward for me it is a HUGE step forward, the VG is the machine I thought I was getting when I bought the VP, I was never content with the output of the VP, I thought it was just so so.

Time will tell if this machine will continue it's performance, that is always the big unknown with equipment and business in general.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
TrueVIS does not use Ricoh Gen 5 heads. It uses Ricoh FlexFire Printhead. And no, FlexFire is not equivalent to Ricoh Gen4 nor Gen5 heads. Very wrong information. And the DX7 head can print about 2 times faster than Ricoh? lol. You got to be kidding me!

Hands down to TrueVIS.

Max speed on a TruVis is 375sqft per hour and the DX7 head is 600sqft per hour. Those are objective facts. I was wrong about which Ricoh head it was and accepted that when I was corrected because I am a professional. I know you are mad at me for calling you out about not paying for your merchant membership for many months but I would appreciate it if you would use a little more professionalism and not try to discredit me in public because you have a grudge. I am a 10+ year veteran who works on 9 different brands and who knows how many different models. Sometimes I don't get things exactly correct because, believe it or not, I am a human.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Max speed on a TruVis is 375sqft per hour and the DX7 head is 600sqft per hour. Those are objective facts. I was wrong about which Ricoh head it was and accepted that when I was corrected because I am a professional. I know you are mad at me for calling you out about not paying for your merchant membership for many months but I would appreciate it if you would use a little more professionalism and not try to discredit me in public because you have a grudge. I am a 10+ year veteran who works on 9 different brands and who knows how many different models. Sometimes I don't get things exactly correct because, believe it or not, I am a human.

If you ever worked on a TrueVIS VG in person, it is plain simple this VG printer runs awesome. We are asked to make a few custom icc profiles for a customer who runs four VG for faster speed and color correction per his application.

I am also a professional, oh I am a human too, I don't hold grudge. LOL. Should I tell everyone how much I donate to children hospital yearly basis, how many hours a week I volunteered at children's hospital? I just chipped in of what I know. I think you are holding the grudge. Thank you for your honorable service. I respect that and what does it have to do with your veteran status again?