• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Useless Graphtec FC8600 won't find registration marks

Pat Whatley

and Graphtec doesn't have tech support, I don't care what they claim.

We have an FC 8600 that was working perfectly. Finished one job, loaded the next (same material, same laminate), and it's never worked again. Nothing I've tried will make it find the registration marks. Here's what I've got:
•Error messages about not enough room in X or Y. There's more than a foot of material on all four sides outside the registration marks and 6" between the marks and pinch rollers
•Error message E03001
•I've done a hard reset (power off/on, hold enter & up)
•I've done the registration mark test where you print out the test on paper and use the pen tool. That registered just fine.
•Tried turning the lights off in the room
•Tried printing on matte finish material and no laminate and it still won't read.
•Adjusted the mark sensitivity settings a couple of dozen times. Currently at X70 - Y80

Is there some magical solution that I'm just missing?

TDFcustomSL

My q54 has the same issues. I typically blame it on production manager because it seems as if a job sits a few days in PM I fight getting it to read marks....if I cut it immediately after its printed (same day) it seems to read them just fine.

greysquirrel

i print and cut through onyx...they added a feature where you can print registration marks darker...i have not had any issues...

What firmware is the cutter running? I would start by upgrading that...​

When you say you did a hard reset you buy power off/on Hold up and enter. And then you went through the steps of actually resetting it and putting it back to the correct language right? If you did I don't have much for you. Except when you first hit print make sure that you are set to the correct registration marks. If you send to RIP and then change the reg type from there the cut file will still think they are the original style. Happens if we send to the RIP with segmented Type II marks and then decide in the RIP we only want regular typeII. The cut file will still have the plotter looking for the segmented ones. This can also throw off your mark layout if you have different settings for each. I would reset computer and plotter and I would try to recreate the cut file(could be something wrong with the file itself) then resend and see what happens.

gabagoo

I have a Summa d140 that is very finicky and over 8 years I have learnt how to deal with it.

I actually found that if I use an eraser on the registration marks it dulls them down and the opus reader can pick them up.

Another strange thing I found with this plotter is that I could sit there for upwards of 20 minutes and no matter what I did the optical would refuse to see the first mark. Use the eraser or even cut new squares to place over the registration marks...but nothing ... I guess I fluked and opened the pinch wheels and moved the vinyl either up or down a few inches and then miraculously it read everything. I figure maybe there's a dead spot somewhere along the initial area it has to read. very frustrating

good luck Pat

QuickSilver2605

This happens to me all the time on our 8000, I put masking tape over the registration marks and re-mark them with a ruler and either a sharpie or wax pencil. That usually does the trick. Sometimes I also have to move the vinyl as far from the right side as I can.

woolly

Did have a few problems till I read somewhere the marks have to be .5 mm thick haven't had a problem since but to many do and think graphtec need to have a comprehensive guide to help people. I find the manual quite difficult

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Have you tried this?

At this point I would do a factory reset, make sure that the customer has the latest firmware currently 2.6. I would do a factory reset since you changed the levels
Factory reset is: turn machine off then turn on holding the up arrow key only then hit the 1 key 3 times the machine will be reset choose language (gpgl) if using illustrator and measurement to inches very important.

Then if the customer is running reflective material including gloss lamination turn on the ISM mode (menu\arms\sensing speed\ism)

0igo

hey i have the same thing, my plotter acts up all the time, drives me nuts. an hour job turns into way longer than that sometimes. heres a few things i found out that helps. get a sharpy and go over the lines with it. on flexisign (if youre using that) switch the marks to another mark and then back to the old marks.

Snydo

Sounds like your RMS sensor is fried, and yes it can fail from one job to the next...happened to me. I cant remember exactly what we paid to have our sensor replaced, but seems like it was only a couple hundred bucks. If your off warranty I would recommend Advantage Sign Supply to service it if you have one in your area.

We have an old 7000 series that has been an absolute workhorse for us from day one, no issues, nearly always finds crops on first try, just a great machine.
The 8600 has been quite the opposite experience.

nopalito24

If you have confirmed that on non laminated prints the sensor finds the marks, then of course you now know
that it is the laminate that the plotter is having a problem with. So, the fC8600 has a feature called ISM(intelligent scanning mode)
turn it ON: MeNU, Arms, Sensing Speed, ISM, ENTER.
Try again. Of course, firs make sure your firmware is up to date. Should be at v2.6

AaronSSsignsKC

If it is a mark issue on an FC-8000 sometimes it is the laminate itself some gloss and luster laminates have trouble reading, it happens often to us and is hit and miss in runs. One tip i learned a long time ago that seems to help is to put a small piece of scotch tape over the cut marks. It sounds simple but has always worked well for me. Good luck

I think someone at graphtec hit a button as ours went too on thursday saying error y position ( ours is a FC7000) after cleaning it and I mean cleaning it, even down into the little sensors that are below the surface and sliding the cutting head back and forth I finally got it working ( will never shut it off again) Graphtec only sent a spec sheet to have a look at as they don't make these anymore and no one around to service them.

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
We have the same cutter. It has always had issues and we finally just gave up on using it for cutting anything that has been printed.
We also have a Roland print/cut so we make it work but the plan was to be able to free up the printer by cutting some smaller jobs with the Graphtec.
They have not had any tech support worth bothering with so we finally just stopped trying and found a shop work around.
I will never buy another one that is for sure.