• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using a Solvent Printer to make transparencies

jiarby

Would it be possible to make transparencies using my Mutoh 1604 Solvent Printer??

I am imagining a 24" roll of something clear, then print a rich black.

Is the ink too translucent?

What material would work?

Malkin

We do a double strike of black on vellum with our roland. The vellum is ancient and we've had it forever so I can't help you with the specific kind (no label)

jiarby

I'm gonna buy some HP vellum (HP Vellum Paper, 36" x 150', 1 Roll
Part #: C3861A)... it is about $65

Any one have a better recommendation?

parrott

We do a lot of screen work (reclaiming/coating/burning) for local sign shop that uses a ink jet printer. It was sold as a film producing ink jet printer only. It works to an extent, but does not give you the results that you want. They can never get the ink dense/opaque enough to re-create a true positive. This causes us to have to under expose the during the burning process and high pressure the screen to develope it. The high pressure causes so many pin holes, it can take up to an hour to touch it up. I don't think that any ink jet printer will ever be able to create true film like a camera or image setter does. Like I said; it will get you by, but is not ideal.

MachServTech

well it depends on what you mean by transparencies, but yeah it will do it. Just remember to increase the number of passes to max and try to change the settings in the rip to allow double strike or use a profile for backlit or clear film.

gnatt66

i couldnt seem to make this work, but i did buy some ulano film for our Epson r2400 and it prints beautiful positives with no special ink.

yes i can see light through them (not opaque at all)...but the uv inhibitors in the stock ink allow it to make awesome positives.

i was all worried, but it works great!