• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using a Tracksaw to cut Diabond

Speedsterbeast

Looking for feedback on a tracksaw for cutting diabond.
Been using a circular saw for 4' cuts, but I've been using a friend's hydraulic sheer for 8' lengths. I'd like to be able to be more self sufficient and this seems like the most versatile tool for the job.
Feedback on blade chioce that reduces burning of the plastic core would also be appreciated.

artbot

i like the combo of the short and medium. put together they equal about 109"? if you do constant long cuts ebay many times has the super long tracks. i get the cheap ebay $18 ts75 blades for abuse (thick aluminum, wood, mdf). but i have a sacred $135 triple chip that i only cut plastic with. that blade walks through extruded acrylic with very little heat. almost seems like it's cast acrylic. get the end clamps for sure. for critical cuts that you can't afford to sneeze on, the track with is usually very very stable is unmovable.

Speedsterbeast

FMG- I looked at the Festool, but it looks like DeWalt has a similar model now (maybe not as good, but for cutting just straight (no bevels) it probably will work fine.

Artbot- What type of blade do you use for Diabond- your $135 one? if so, can you show me a link to this thing?

Thanks!

artbot

yeah that's the one. as far as dewalt vs festool. i'd maybe go dewalt for a couple reasons. cutting on both sides of the track. you can really get some serious speed out of this tool. after an hour it will seem like you been knocking down substrates for hours. but always making sure your track is set to the short side of the table, ending up setting up on the wrong end... it's a bit of a distraction. also, i'm assuming that the dewalt takes all kinds of standard blades (i may be wrong).

if you go festool, get the ts55. the ts75 is a massive extremely powerful saw. i very often use it to plunge cut 3" deep so i need the big one. but i've considered getting the ts55 too for when i am doing lots of veneer and aluminum. the dewalt is also a very large saw. so maybe if it's dibond all day long, the ts55.

also festool just came out with stops for the track for making repeating parallel cuts.

dewalt or festool... it's a tie. they are both game changers. for a while you will be freaking out by what or how you just cut or trimmed something. then you get used to it. and a regular saw looks like a "material destroyer".

fmg

I need to chuck another 2 cents into the mix.
I use a lot of power tools and one thing I have learned over time is not to cut yourself short by saving a few here or there and going for the cheaper option.Festool will outlast Dewalt and it comes with a 2+1 warranty which = 3 years and they do stand by this.
Like Artbot says the TS75 is a powerful machine and may be more than you need to cut Dibond. I also use mine for DIY at home so when ripping down timber is serves well.If you do get one go for the TS55 which comes with a 55" guide rail.Add yourself another 55" and you can cut down a 96" sheet easily.One other thing to bear in mind is the dust collector which is an valuable tool to use alongside the saw.Beware the grey systainers can add up very quickly once you get started!

tsgstl

I made a long and short fence out of wood until I could afford a safety speed cut. The fence worked fine until I just didn't want to deal with the setup. If you got the room a panel saw is worth it. Only need to buy it once and you can get a deal on a used one if you keep your eyes open. I don't worry about any cuts besides clean edges on thick acrylic. I file the edges with anything that needs it. It's nice to throw 3 sheets of coro on it and go to town because you can. Make 20+ 2'x3's in minutes

artbot

also bosch has a track saw but no dust collection. i'm about to knock down a bunch of 3/8" acrylic. and i can't imagine the mess i'd be dealing with if all that ended up on the floor.

a track saw and a panel saw are not the same. yesterday i joined a frame a bit catty cornered. i was a few degrees off 90. and the next piece didn't quite fit. needed to shave 0" at one end and about 1/16" at the other. that won't happen with a panels saw. not to mention the sheet was .030 aluminum. a panel saw would chatter that to pieces. a track saw is a fabricators dream. and when i need to i can clamp three sheets of 3/4" substrates together and cut them all at once, no problem. not to mention, i can keep the whole stack clamped, run around it and keep cutting. i guess you can clamp sheets and put them in a panel saw, but maybe it's not quite as easy. also, the weight. i'd rather move a track at 10lbs instead of a sheet at 75lbs. i'd use a panel saw to make crates. but it's just not ready for high end fabrication.

Speedsterbeast

It looks like the Festool may be the better choice more than DeWalt just becasue of the blade choice. I see that DeWalt is a 6.5" and Festool is 6.25", so of coarse they will not work with each other.
Unless Freud or someone else makes a composite/aluminum blade that fits Dewalt.
I'll have to do some digging, but thanks so much for the input!

Last edited:

artbot

also, to add, the 3/8" that i'm cutting is face mounted graphics. so i'm cutting through acrylic, adhesive and .030 petg. so i need no heat at all or i can get out gassing which causes delamination.

i can cut some dibond over here if you want with the "sacred" blade as a test. i usually cut dibond with my el cheapo blades.

tsgstl

They look and sound great but for slicing up a bunch of 4'x8' dibond I'd use a panel saw. Hardly any setup and if you adjust the measurement guides they are accurate enough for 90% of what I do.
I agree though they are very different.
I'd like to have one of those track saws don't get me wrong.

fmg

Here I am using mine for cutting down 16 ft Lexan

Attachments

• fs.jpg
    fs.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 186

Speedsterbeast

also, to add, the 3/8" that i'm cutting is face mounted graphics. so i'm cutting through acrylic, adhesive and .030 petg. so i need no heat at all or i can get out gassing which causes delamination.

i can cut some dibond over here if you want with the "sacred" blade as a test. i usually cut dibond with my el cheapo blades.

No need. If you say the cheap blades don't melt the plastic, then I'd just use those.
What depth and speed do you go?

fmg

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention.The guide rail is also compatible with Festool routers so it has that advantage as well.

Attachments

• fr_of1010_574234_p_01a.jpg
    fr_of1010_574234_p_01a.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 172

Sign-Man Signs

Here is what I use, it is hard to beat, sets up in about 2 minutes and I cut EVERYTHING with it.

http://eurekazone.com/

Ditto. Been using mine for about 5 years now. They are awesome. Sold my panel saw and only use this for everything. I have been using the new Diablo Red blade for everything now. Super smooth cuts on everything. Get the non-ferrious metal cut blade.