• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using a Trade printer... Uploading files

How would you prefer to upload your files?

• Design file to spec the trade printer asks for (bleed, crop marks etc) and upload directly.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Upload the design into a designer, size it into the crop box and press ok and know it'll work.

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
This has been at the back of my mind for a while.
And since it was brought up recently, i'd like to open it as a discussion & A Poll.

When using a Trade printer, We understand you want the simplest, easiest solution to place orders.
The question:
How would you prefer to upload your files?

A) Design the file to the specification that the trade printer is asking for (the right bleed, crop marks etc) and just uploading it.
Or
B) Upload the design into a designer, size it into the crop box and press ok and know it'll work.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
So I voted for put the artwork in and have the designer do it. This is for the very simple reason that the amount of "graphic designers" that don't know what bleed and crop marks are is appalling. This will only get worse as most are graduating at tech college with a 2 year degree and they don't have time to teach them the printing side, only how to design.

If you look at a website like Walgreens where there is printing involved, that is all you need to do. It cuts the errors in my opinion, and a lot of back and forth between you and the customer saving time and money and allowing you to just push out more jobs. That is my $0.02 at least.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I agree with Adam. Even among us "professionals" we still make errors sometimes and the less errors the happier we all are.

rjssigns

I clicked option A. It's my preferred method and how we train our students. Part of their grade consists of being able to correctly apply marks and bleeds. Packaging files is another area in the rubric.
Another thing we do for student project specs is change dimensions or stock type. Not to trick them but to get them in the groove of reading everything.
Their final practical was last night and it required them to create then correctly impose a twelve page booklet with different cover and page stocks.

Something I tell my class repeatedly is the importance of making sure print files are on point and packaged.
If you can do those two things your "stock" will go up with said printer and you will get your product well before someone who sent some jacked up mess.

There is a third option that one of my subs uses. They want only the native file and the dimensions of the final product. It's how their prepress team works. Saves time on my end for sure.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I'm Option B as well. Although I'm a graphic designer, I am human and can make errors, with a nice designer tool, it helps minimize errors and getting what you need. Although I always add bleeds to anything that needs it, all my suppliers have never complained and their designer tool always recognize it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Great answers so far.

right now it seems like, the easier it is, the better it is.

gnubler

Any interface NOT like 4Over's is good for me. I like clean & simple, a few clicks, and done. As mentioned a bit in that other thread, Signs365 has pretty much perfected the online ordering process, though I wish they were PDF all around (now it's JPG art uploads, PDF cut files).