Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Drill Press For A Paper Drill???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by quikseps, Apr 17, 2007.

1. quikseps

quikseps Member

Mar 23, 2007
    I have a customer that must have his decals drilled so they can be stocked on pegboard hooks for display at stores, etc. Anyhow, aside from buying a paper drill at $1,000 for this one customer....has anyone had any success or experience with running a paper drill bit in a standard drill press? I figure I could make a device to hold a stack of decals in place while being drilled.

One concern is the RPM of the paper drill might be significantly faster than a conventional drill press so the quality of the cut may be compromised.

I'm also a bit worried about drilling through the vinyl and having it look clean. These decals can't be weeded and drilled only though the backing sheet since the customer likes to leave all the vinyl intact and have me add a dashed "peel here" line outside the cut line. Any opinions out there?

Steve

Tags:
  2. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    How many you talkin'? What about a punch instead of a drill?

3. quikseps

quikseps Member

Mar 23, 2007
    The quantities are 100 - 200 decals of a single design. I'm printing about 15 designs for this guy and will probably get re-orders in a month or so.

4. quikseps

quikseps Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Actually, a heavy-duty paper punch just may be the ticket. I'll have to look around for something beefy.

5. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Buy a paper bit, sort of a hollow round knife blade and your drill press is a paper drill. Most any place that will sell you the whole rig will sell you a bit. Lubricate it by drilling into a chunk of beeswax every now and then.

6. Shady Sherlock

Shady Sherlock New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    IMO use an industrial hole punch and do it 10 or 20 at a time.
    May take more time, but save the cost of an expensive piece of equipment...

7. trauts

trauts Member

Apr 21, 2005
    i'll sale you a tabletop punch for 200.00

8. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Hope you are charging this customer for this additional service!

9. mediaman

mediaman Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Steve,
    The vinyl will melt and gum up the drill if you try the drill press. The adhesive may also present a problem when heated by the drill. Let us know your final method.:Cool 2:

10. ahollow

ahollow Active Member

Dec 25, 2004
    I use my grommet machine punch. works great!

11. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
  12. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    You can buy small stick-on tabs just for that purpose, any company that sells
    P.O.P. supplies carry them.

13. quikseps

quikseps Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Yeah, I figured the adhesive would stick the drills up. I think this guy should package these stapled to offset printed cards with a fold on the top that are drilled for hanging. They'd look better and also be uniform. Going to suggest that since this is beginning to look like a nightmare in progress!

Steve