• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

using lamination for erase board?

signguy35

I have a client who wants a large map of their sales region with the ability of using dry marker on it. Can i use regular Arlon laminate and the correct marker or do i have to use dry erase vinyl? its going to be about 5ft by 7 ft wide. What is the correct marker and correct cleaning methods also? Thanks.

FASTSIGNS

Yes, you must use dry erase lam or anti-graffiti lam. Or use acrylic as your surface and second surface mount the print.

NateF

+1 on the dry erase lam. I believe we use Lamex brand. Performance, in my opinion, isn't quite as good as an actual dry erase board, but it does work. We generally throw a quick coat of car wax on top of the print, and warn the customer in advance that if they leave marker on it for long lengths of time it will be more difficult to remove.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Dry erase laminates and boards can last a long time but it depends on how they are treated. Two of the biggest problems are people scrubbing stubborn old ink to get it off or using harsh chemicals. Over time they both will render the dry erase practically useless.

Office Depot sells cleaner for dried on dry erase markers but I always tell my clients that you can color over the hard to get off areas with a dry erase marker and the solvents will dissolve the baked on ink. Then you can wipe off the old ink.

We figured this out after creating a realestate sign for a housing development with dry erase. They kept complaining that the dry erase didn't work. We figured out that the sun was baking it on and then they were overly aggressive when cleaning it.

gmarshall

I have a client who wants a large map of their sales region with the ability of using dry marker on it. Can i use regular Arlon laminate and the correct marker or do i have to use dry erase vinyl? its going to be about 5ft by 7 ft wide. What is the correct marker and correct cleaning methods also? Thanks.

Try the Mactac Dry Erase Laminate and Expo Markers. I have tried two anti-graffiti and they do not perform as well.

lgroth

I use the MacTac Dry Erase too, seems to be a little better than others I've tried. ANY dry erase surface, even some of the higher end white boards will stain if marker is left on for too long. I also made a bunch of small decals that I apply to any dry erase I do stating that ink should not be left on for extended periods to prevent staining... A disclaimer to cover my tush when they don't clean it off for 6 months and come back to me with it :cool:

2B

we have had done a fair amount of testing on this, especially for short term usage ( jumbo checks, time boards, etc...)
ideally using the dry-erase lamination is best. HOWEVER, we found that Oracal 210 gloss, combined with vis-à-vis dry erase markers and the vis-à-vis cleaning fluid works very good!.

Like the others have said, how you clean and where you store it plays the biggest role is longevity

T_K

Can i use regular Arlon laminate

Yes, for SUPER short term applications, like writing a number you'll only need for 5 minutes then erasing. It probably won't cause immediate damage to the film, but staining will occur. Not recommended for your customer.

do i have to use dry erase vinyl?

Yes, if you want it to last and your customer to be happy with it. At the same time, I would mention to them that, just like on a regular dry erase board, the longer you leave the writing on there, the harder it is to get off. You can stain dry erase laminate if you don't clean it off fairly regularly.