• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

using magnets for instead of masking tape?

Spencer McMurtry

has anyone started using magnets instead of masking tape yet? i have seen fellers is selling some magnets made by rob ivers and also some called "powerslam magnets" i went off to the stores and bought some earth magnets and made my own, i am going to be trying them out a little later today. was just wondering if its worth buying them or if ones i can make my self will work just as well?

Happy Wrapping!

Letterbox Mike

Make 'em. I bought a bunch of magnets from Home Depot, they're about 2"x1"x.5". i just wrapped them in duct tape and they work great. Magnets make installing wraps alot easier than tape alone.

B Snyder

Been using magnets for 10+ years the same way as described above except I wrap them in scrap vinyl.

Malkin

I use the magnets from the pizza delivery car toppers and coated the bottom of them with felt.

works great and not a chance of scratching, even if you slide them around.

ProWraps

we buy the hanger magnets and magnet covers from kjmagnetics. we have about 30+ of them in the shop. WAY cheaper than the ones from rob ivers, and they are identical. only time we use tape is on aluminum or fiberglass vehicles.

Spencer McMurtry

we buy the hanger magnets and magnet covers from kjmagnetics. we have about 30+ of them in the shop. WAY cheaper than the ones from rob ivers, and they are identical. only time we use tape is on aluminum or fiberglass vehicles.
which size? they have 16mm - 75mm sizes.
Thanks!

ProWraps

we were buying the 42mm then switched to the 36mm. cheaper and work just as well. i think robs are like $99 for 6 mags which is robbery. these are $5 each and i think are stronger than his. if i remember correctly when i saw them he was selling like the 25mm size.

i found the chinese supplier he is using on alibaba.com. i think the ones he is selling only cost him like $2-3 each. his have key rings on them to grab. the ones from KJ have hooks with are easier to grab as they are always sticking out rather then hanging down when you let them go.

Spencer McMurtry

i just bought 10 of 36mm magnets and 10 of the rubber covers total was $65.00 shipped usps. the rob ivers ones from fellers are $104.00 for 10. Thanks prowraps!

WB

I bought 6 of the Arlon ones when they 1st came out I think I paid $50 for 6.. They work great I'd pay double that if I had to.

SSG_SIGNS

Go to harborfreight.com you can get small strong magnets for 2.99 each, they work amazing, wouldn't do one without them unless of course it was on damn aluminum or fiberglass.

Mason

Been using magnets for years, unless those plastic buggers prevent me from doing so. Its the only way to go

AllSquare Jason

We sell the Arlon Magnets - everyone loves them.

Here is the description: Heavy duty magnets designed to hold vinyl graphics in place during application and / or vehicle wraps. 43mm x 6mm, coated with black rubber surface to protect graphics and prevent scratching.

I have 18 Arlon Mags in stock, and can discount pairs to members @ $35 per set shipped in the US if anyone is interested.

EmpireGFX.com

Thanks ProWraps for the K&J source.. I just picked up 10 as well with the rubber covers! I'm glad I stumbled across this thread.. I was close to ordering them from Fellers.

Jim Doggett

Go to harborfreight.com you can get small strong magnets for 2.99 each, they work amazing, wouldn't do one without them unless of course it was on damn aluminum or fiberglass.

You've got to be careful they're the right type of magnets, especially on white vehicles. They newer polymers in vehicle paint are pretty poor, and typical magnets can chemically react with them. It leaves a mark you cannot wash off since it's in the paint layer.

Still, $2.99 is a killer price. If they work great. But if any runs into this problem, hopefully a heads up will be posted here.

Best,
Jim

phototec

Magnets with key ring and a vinyl base $1.99

I got six 35# [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Magnets with key ring and a vinyl base at Harbor Freight for $1.99 ea. [/FONT]

The white vinyl base is not as good as I wound like, so I will wrap the base better with thicker vinyl (duct tape), or purchase the rubber bases from K&J if they will fit.

I like the round ring, makes removal easy.

The Harbor Freight listing (below) says 25#, however it says 35# on the packaging, and they hold very strong.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65535

Attachments

• Magnetic Ring 65535.gif
    Magnetic Ring 65535.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 110

carlospaixao

Hello friend Jason Curd
You send to to Brazil?
What is the value?
--------------------
Olá amigo Jason Curd
Você despacha para ao Brasil?
Fica por quanto?

Rev Designs

+1 for phototec and harbor freight. Just got them last week actually and wrapped the bottom with scrap vinyl. Also put some carabiners on the rings for a good handle to pull on since they do stick REALLY well.