• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

using plexi/acrylic over alumalite

fozzie

did the standard "donor" name recognition sign for a client. cut vinyl on 4 x 8 alumalite. client mounted to outside of building.

now asked about putting a plexi or acrylic sheet in front to keep vandals from picking letters. no experience with this.

said he would screw plexi/acrylic into the sign.

questions - we are in upper illinois with weather extremes. concerned about water getting behind plex/acrylic and freezing, condensation, etc. something to worry about?
better installation method to tell him besides screwing it in?

thanks in advance.

shoresigns

In my experience, even two pieces of acrylic sandwiched together will get moisture trapped in between. If the signs are exposed you'll probably have this issue.

CanuckSigns

I would avoid it, you would be better off to apply the vinyl in reverse to a sheet of lexan, then back paint it and use that as your board, the vinyl can't be picked off and no worries about different expansions.

signpro

Manager
are you going to be adding names to this board in the future?
if not, why not just laminate over the entire board & cut vinyl names?
the no one can peel off the letters.

cheaper than buying and fabricating a way to hang lexan over it
or redoing the entire sign reversed on lexan.