• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Using SignLab 9 with VersaWorks 6 Challenges

Steve Prince

Seeing if anyone else is in this position and what's the best way to make it work.

For years have been running SignLab 9 with VersaWorks on a VS540. I added a Roland VG2 and it won't run with VersaWorks that comes with SignLab 9. So I added VersaWorks 6.
After using the SignLab built-in link to VersaWorks queue A for years, it's a pain doing a standard export to the queue folder. Especially when I'm changing folders often for other exports. It went from one click to a procedure.

An update to SignLab 10 with VersaWorks would take care of that problem, but adds other problems since SignLab 10 has taken away features I have in 9. Such as no Eye Candy. Side note: the latest Update for SignLab 9 also took other features away that were in earlier versions.

Has anyone came up with a good solution, possibly using the built-in export link or anything else?
For a couple weeks I was using the output link for the older original VW but isn't compatible so it asks extra questions about this version is the wrong ink blah blah blah. And all that did was send the file to the Queue folder and not directly in to VersaWorks. Just more buttons to push.

Side note 2: I was also surprised I couldn't run two Roland printers off one computer.
With all this "latest technology" it seems like both SignLab and Roland are going backwards.
That said, I'm very happy with both. I just wish they'd get along.

Thanks for any ideas.

Just to confirm, you can export, save *.eps,
Open VersaWorks import etc?
Your just wanting a single click button so it sends it direct to VersaWorks with out the extra steps in Signlab 9?
Signlab 10 has such button?

Steve Prince

Correct, files can be exported as an EPS and import into VW. But the combination of being spoiled when Roland and SignLab work together and seeming that the process is going backwards and making it a bigger procedure than necessary, I was seeing if anyone found a good way around it possibly using the old link from VW 5.

Also SignLab 10 does have a built-in link if you're using Signlab 10 w/ VW but I don't know anyone that's using Signlab 10 that doesn't prefer Signlab 9.

Again, just seeing if someone has found a way to use Signlab 9 with versaworks to tie into VersaWorks 6.

Thanks again,

Neil

I don't know anyone that's using Signlab 10 that doesn't prefer Signlab 9.

Thanks again,

I wonder why?
That's interesting.

I use Signlab 8 and am perfectly happy with it. I've been using it every day for years. Almost exclusively.
Including making my own profiles with and for it. So I don't even have to use Rasterlink (or VW) for the Rip.

So sorry, can't answer your question. just chiming in on your remark up there.

Surely V10 is better than V9? Which is better than 8 right?

I've had a great run out of my Version 8, but eventually will have to go to Win 10 and then SL 10 to suit.
I honestly feel I have no need to do either.

hawkster

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're asking, but might help.
When we updated to Versaworks 6, signlab10 continued to try to open the old version versaworks (which failed).
When I tried to select the new location the "ok" button was ghosted.
What worked for me, was I made a copy of the new executable file into the same folder then renamed it to "Roland VersaWorks.exe" from "Versaworks.exe"
The ok button worked after that and now I can send from signlab directly to the new version of versaworks.

JamisonSigns

Signs of all kinds.
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're asking, but might help.
When we updated to Versaworks 6, signlab10 continued to try to open the old version versaworks (which failed).
When I tried to select the new location the "ok" button was ghosted.
What worked for me, was I made a copy of the new executable file into the same folder then renamed it to "Roland VersaWorks.exe" from "Versaworks.exe"
The ok button worked after that and now I can send from signlab directly to the new version of versaworks.
Spot on, seems they changed the the .exe in the Versa installation but did not change the requirement for filename in Signlab.

Renaming a copy works like a charm.

bruce brown

Hi Guys, just stumbled on your thread.This is exactly the problem I have.Unfortunately I'm not a computer geek so I have no idea what you are talking about when you talk about renaming an executable file into the same folder,can you simplify for an idiot please? thanks!