• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using some calendered material

Just a good shot of what I will now be showing customers whenever they try to lower my price on lettering their utility vehicles etc. This is the worst I've seen yet. Its only about 1.5 years old if that. Customer spent 900 dollars for the graphics. Its Pixelated as hell and said the shop never even asked if he would like to have his logo converted to a vector image. So I sold him on 4 van re installs, and about $500 dollars in misc. stickers / corroplast. I love my competitors, Its made working in my area easy! :thumb:

This is the 5th or so business to come to me with similar issues, seems to be a trend, and I've only been around for 3 months.

competitors.jpg

Jackpine

I've seen some bad work

Wow! I've seen some bad work but never this bad for only 1 1/2 year old. What material did the use?

No idea honestly, Customer didn't know either. The owner of this particular franchise isn't so nice. I tried when opening shop greeting him and letting him know if he needed our help or visaversa we could always help each other. But yea I pretty much got booted rather fast!

HulkSmash

yup only cast here as well.

It's sad so many people on this S101 forums say they use calendered on flat surfaces..
I'll never understand.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When I first looked, I thought it was a picture of Spam gone rancid. Hmmmm..... calendared and spam now have a similar appearance or common properties. Both bad.

Yea....This is about as flat of a surface there will ever be.

Same instance happened to the police cars here the badge had shrunk about 1/8th to 1/4" they hadn't noticed till I pointed it out while bidding on some other work for them, I ended up getting 4 so far to re badge at $400 a pop only takes about 1-1.5 hours to install.

1005875_462324057195073_1429518902_n.jpg

I'm just glad they are making it easy for me to come into this market/area!

SameDay Signs

I agree cast is always the way to go but we do a bunch of stuff on calendered with the correct laminate and it will last plenty longer then that. I don't know why people are always down on things like 3164 or 3651. If it is laminated correctly and used on the correct surfaces there isn't any reason there are any real problems. Now in the photo above was that laminated though as well? Just curious

Marlene

Agreed, Customer was not to happy with it, and the shop told him he signed off on the proof.

what a jerk thing to do as of course it looked OK as a proof unless they gave him a sample of it full sized. knowing what artwork works and doesn't isn't up to the customer, that's our job. glad you were able to get him good decent art made

HulkSmash

I agree cast is always the way to go but we do a bunch of stuff on calendered with the correct laminate and it will last plenty longer then that. I don't know why people are always down on things like 3164 or 3651. If it is laminated correctly and used on the correct surfaces there isn't any reason there are any real problems. Now in the photo above was that laminated though as well? Just curious

doesn't matter what lam you throw on it.
If the vinyl is cheap it will shrink. Period.