• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Using stand/take-up off old Roland?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Has anyone rigged up an old stand and take up reel from a Roland?

We're about to scrap our old XR-640 (anyone want any parts/boards etc?) and I'm thinking of keeping the stand/take up to possibly use with our Summa flatbed cutter... not sure of the feasibility to re-wire the take-up to run without the printer.

Just figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone has done this before.

Will update this thread if I get anywhere with this project.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I just disassembled my xr-640 and I am in the process of figuring out the wiring. looks like I should be able to use the auto take up once wired..

Nice! How complicated does it seem to get it wired up? Any pics/tips? I have no electrical experience but do have a good friend who's an experienced electrician.

I'll be taking the printer off the stand this week and I guess scrapping it, haven't found another use for that part yet.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I haven't taken one apart, but since the take up works independent of the printer with a limit switch, it should be as easy as putting power to it and making sure that switch is still intact.

I'd love to have some extra parts for my XR, but I don't even know what they would be. My machine has been a true tank, for the most part. Just curious, what did you upgrade to?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I haven't taken one apart, but since the take up works independent of the printer with a limit switch, it should be as easy as putting power to it and making sure that switch is still intact.

I'd love to have some extra parts for my XR, but I don't even know what they would be. My machine has been a true tank, for the most part. Just curious, what did you upgrade to?

Yeah ours was good for a long time, until it wasn't. Definitely paid for itself a few times though.

We got an Epson S60600, really happy with it so far. Interface and design is quite different from our old Rolands but we love it. No built in cutter (plotter or sheet cutter for that matter) but it flies - we print jobs in 2 hours on it that used to take a full day on our XR-640. Then send to flatbed cutter to kiss-cut + through cut which cuts a ton of labor and frees up the printer to crank out more work. I would highly recommend the new Epsons, my only regret is that we didn't get one sooner!