• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using the Roland GX-24 as a plotter

Escritar

I'm aware there are "Roland" pens for plotting available for the GX-24 as I have several of them. However, the amount of use one can expect from those pens makes them very expensive relative to "Sharpies" or other types of pens.

Based on what I've read, the people on this site are a very innovative group. Has anyone created an adaptor for using a "Sharpie", "Rollerball" or other type of pen for use in plotting patterns?

OldPaint

GOOD GOD....you that frickin cheap??? i got a bal point pen, have had it for 4-5 years. if iam doing a paper drawing i can do it in the pen THEN MAKE IT BOLDER if need be with a SHARPIE. but i can draw))))

Mosh

The pens last a long time...or
are you thinking you want to "print" paper banners.
I tryed that 20 years ago, ain't worth the hassle!!!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i modified an old felt tip cartridge to hold a pen. it worked forever until i got a pen plotting thingy... which i've had for like 15 years and it still has what seems like infinte ink.....

round man

I have used just about every pen out there in a plotter of some sort over the years,...I found two very dependable solutions,..the easiest,...yet not so "non messy" solution is to pop the caps off of a felt tip plotter pen and refill it using a cheap inkjet refill cartridge set,...be prepared to clean up the mess as it will usually overfill and or spill all over your hands and where you actually attempt the process,,
the other is to take a strip of 1/2" vinyl and wrap the barrel of the pen you wish to use until it will fit snuggly into the pen holder of the plotter you wish to use it in then position it so it rests firmly on the paper when in the pen down position and rises up off the paper in the pen up position,...the same method also works for a hollowed out plotter pen and with pen inserted

signguy 55

Masking tape and a pencil is what I used, never did many patterns, but the harder lead would last a pretty good while.