• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using Ultraboard / Ultra Aluminum as a sign backer - bowing?

HWPhilly

Hi, I am needing to make a sign w/ a brushed metal face and read about Ultra Aluminum by Ultraboard on this forum. My only concern is the material bowing if used as a sign backer. The sign would be 24" tall by 66" long - rectangle in shape and installed an inch off the wall w/ 6 standoffs (4 corners and top/bottom in the center). It's only going to have vinyl lettering applied to it. Do you think I'd have an issue with the sign bowing in this size? I'm just hesitant to use it since I never have and don't know what to expect. Anyone here with any experience with it?

Billct2

I'm not familiar with that exact product but I have had panel that bowed. You can always bond it to something else or I have added a small aluminum angle to the back with vhb to stiffen it.

2B

Have not used this before but it it is a foam core with aluminum skin, so that is fairly common for interior usage.
it depends on the thickness of the board, the thicker the material the more ridged it will be.
How thick are you going to use?

KMC

Graphic Artist
i have used it before and not had a problem with it, but it might be cheaper to use brushed alupanel
what thickness are you intending to get?

HWPhilly

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I plan on using the 1/2" thick Ultra Aluminum. Is the brushed Alupanel similar? I see it looks the same basically. Is it just a different company making their version of it? Are there any benefits in using it compared to the Ultra Aluminum?

EDIT: Oh, I see..it's just a different name for ACM (Polymetal, dibond, etc.)

Last edited:

Rydaddy

Confirm that the product you chose is outdoor rated. The brushed aluminum acm panels often are not exterior rated.

signbrad

I plan on using the 1/2" thick Ultra Aluminum. Is the brushed Alupanel similar? I see it looks the same basically. Is it just a different company making their version of it? Are there any benefits in using it compared to the Ultra Aluminum?

These two products differ significantly.
Heath, you do not say whether this sign will be interior or exterior.

Ultra products are not intended to be used outdoors. But they are fine in interior applications. We have used them a little. If your sign is mounting to an inside lobby wall it will probably look great and last indefinitely. A lot of direct sunlight on it could potentially cause bowing, but I expect that would be rare.
I would not use this panel for an exterior sign. It's true that some interior products can be made to work outside for a time if carefully finished. I have had Gatorfoam letters hold up on buildings for two years or longer by sealing the edges and coating both sides with automotive type paints. And while Ultra panels could be prepared similarly and put outside, the product is not meant for that.
Foam Core Boards Archives - UltraBoard

By contrast, Alupanel products are made for outdoors. They are engineered to be used as building cladding and are available with fire-resistant cores. Depending on the product they may carry a warranty of up to 20 years. They are ideal as sign substrates.
Architectural Panels for bespoke design - Multipanel UK

To compare, Polymetal, made by Nudo, carries a 5 year limited warranty outdoors.
PolyMetal™ - Aluminum Skin on Two Sides of a Recyled Thermoplastic Core

Obviously, ACMs are not all created equal. And their prices usually reflect this. The same is true of the anodizing process. It varies in quality and durability. An anodized finish intended for indoor use may not have the durability of one made for exterior.

Brad in Kansas City

Last edited:

HWPhilly

Thanks for the info everyone! Sorry I forgot to mention that this is going indoors in a lobby. I think I'm going with my original plan now that I've heard from everyone that it shouldn't bow. I'm going to use the 1/2" Ultraboard Aluminum w/ 6 standoffs. Thanks again!