Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using vinylcutter with magnetic sheet?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by No Name, Nov 14, 2019.

1. No Name

No Name Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Tampere, Finland
    Ever tried?
    Worked or not?

Just curious...

Tags:
  2. Jeff grossman

Jeff grossman Living the dream

Nov 17, 2018
    Pa 19320
    I’ve only had good results with punched / sprocket fed material or flatbed , friction feed slips too much for Me . Biggest problem I had was Mag. Material sticking to the metal parts of plotter.
    Wish the guy I used years back was still around ( retired) - had demagnetized material you could print on then you would return with the finished product and he magnetized it - worked very well -
    Biggest problem I had was Mag. Material sticking to the metal parts of plotter ,

3. jimmmi

jimmmi Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Athens Greece
    How is it possible to demagnitize and remagnitize a magnetic sheet????

4. Kaitlin Boisvert

Kaitlin Boisvert Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Amherst, NH
    We put magnet through the plotter all the time. We use Magnum Magnetics MuscleMag AND DigiMag. You just need to make sure you don't put in large sheets so that the plotter keeps it on track. The material can be heavy if it's too large. I recommend not going longer than 48".

5. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    If you're not print and cutting... Load it upside down. We do it all the time to cut shapes, then it doesn't stick. If it's a print and cut the best option is a flatbed cutter unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BlueMoonATL

BlueMoonATL Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Nashville
    I actually had a conversation with a magnetic sheeting yesterday for a customer of mine. There is un-magnetized sheeting that can be magnetized after printing and in your case "scoring" with a plotter, with some sort of handheld device. The issue with that technique is that there's no way to know if you missed a section visually when magnetizing. So for my application, we need to find a solution that will allow printing/finishing traditional magnetic sheeting. There was a suggestion to secure a slip sheet of vinyl backing material with the slick side up on the metal surfaces that the material touches through the printer so that it will slide easier through the printer. The other suggestion was to attach magnetic material magnet side up on the front and back of the printer so that the magnetic poles are "pushing" against the back of the magnet as it feeds through. I haven't tried either yet, but these suggestions make sense.

As far as printing then finishing/scoring/cutting, the best possible solution would be to print using a flatbed UV printer, then cut out using a flatbed cutter... but if you don't have that equipment, its a big leap to justify the purchase unless the ongoing project could pay for it... which in my case it just might. Good Luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Yanki & The Brit

The Yanki & The Brit The Yanki & The Brit Signs and Radio Show

Sep 3, 2014
    Texas
    Why not try running it through the plotter by itself a time or two before you try to cut it?

8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I've done as ikarasu suggested, multiple passes until it would pop out, but I could only imagine how much it dulled that blade.
    I'd think the unmagnetized stuff would work, as far as checking for unmagnetized sections, maybe it in mask or backing and toss some shavings on it?

9. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Speaking of this. One of our suppliers was raving about direct R2R printable UV magnetic. Gave us a sample roll.. put it in our Colorado and it stuck pretty heavily to the very first part it could.

Needless to say we can’t print on it directly from the Colorado. Magnet seems to be pretty strong though lol

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  10. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Active Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    what thickness of sheeting are we talking about here?

11. Jeff grossman

Jeff grossman Living the dream

Nov 17, 2018
    Pa 19320
    The expensive world of science - he called it his magic machine , don’t know how it worked but it did and I wish he was still around .

12. rm5690

rm5690 Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Virginia, USA
    We print on unmagnetized sheets all the time on our digital presses and one of our vendors, Lindenmeyr Munroe, has a commercial magnetizer at their local branch that we use to magnetize the finished pieces. They aren’t cheap or else we would buy one ourselves.

MagnumMagnetics sells a few different magnetizers and I imagine other brands do as well.

https://www.magnummagnetics.com/magnetizers/

13. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

• Like Like x 1