• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

USMC-vertible rush donation wrap for parade... ugh!

MikePro

My grandfather is one of 3 surviving Iwo Jima Marines still living in Wisconsin, so of course he gets to ride in the 4th of July Parade, and of course my father mentions that I can whip up a wrap in no time! And then he tells me that I don't have much time to work on it (half day design/half day print/full day install) and "make it look good".

lol!

anywho, was hopin' for some input from you guys... especially if anyone has some sentiment to the U.S. Marine Corp. To help me break this block i'm at currently:
USMCvertible.jpg

its a 2005 Saab 9-3, but I only have the file for the 2003... so going to give myself plenty of bleed to figure it out on the fly, as I don't have spec. measurements of his car yet. But all I have so far is a collection of logos and old photographs I might sepia into a Marines-Red layout. The main item i'm trying to get across is the Flag Raising-pose on the hip of both sides...and to compliment it with a mount of an actual flag on both sides of the car.
Currently no solid ideas for the hood, maybe a highres USMC logo print, highlighted with gold vinyl to complete the seal (might be cool for the sides, as well). But to fill in the sides, all i have are old photos from google and don't really know how I want them to flow. Plus, even though this is for the parade... my grandfather plans on driving it around through the fall before I have to remove it. So i'm hoping I can come up with something slick.
Will update drawings to accommodate ideas as we go.... throw something cool @ me if the mood strikes ya.

Sign_Boy

What about having Dog Tags with the 3 surviving Marines names on the front hood or back window and one for those no longer with us as a tribute? Easy enough to do in PS

I like the idea of them raising the flag - but it's kind of a small car so the graphic might be small and look a bit squished.

Attachments

• tags.gif
    tags.gif
    15.3 KB · Views: 93

curtrnev

I was going to say be sure to have the flag rasing but I see you have that kind of a no brainer. How about a background shot of landing craft and then maybe a beach scene and add some Marines carrying a wounded Marine , the wounded one with his arms around the necks and shoulders of 2 others. Make it kind of a progression thing from front to rear as a time line.

Semper Fi

MikePro

Found some great photos! Tempted to go scan a few of his old ones, but I have no clue where to look in his house and he just had a heart attack... only a mild one, and he was well enough through the whole thing to complain about my driving the whole way to the E.R. hah!

I'll post a revised drawing later tonight... finally got some computer time and have a buncha Parade banners to catch up on before I continue to tackle this.

MikePro

yeah, i'm definately thinking of progressing the images together towards the flag raising... I have a feeling I can photoshop it all into a panoramic scene, as my canvas is so small to begin with. Just gotta find a cool texture to go with it, I always lean towards a carbon fiber, but im gonna see if I got any cool tattered canvas to texture up the wrap print. Should make the non-textured graphics/logos really POP.

Makes me wish I could print metallics, but adding foil vinyls after the print shouldn't hurt me too much. Just gonna pre-apply it to the wrap before install.

Most likely moving the Marines shield to the hood, and having the closeup of the Semper Fi from the Marines flag lead the mural.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Try putting the 'Flag' scene up front in the door panels and put the USMC emblem towards the rear area. A simple reversing might have an altogether different appeal.

By the way.... thank you grandfather for his service. :U Rock:

:wavingflag:

Jillbeans

The old photo idea is a good one, also the dog tag idea but make them vintage looking.
And you are right about upsetting him a little bit looking for photos, I bugged the hell out of my grandma with stuff like that and still feel a bit guilty.
Maybe find out what medals/insignias/ranks the guys had and look for those images too.
Love....Jill

MikePro

sweet thx for the input! Should have something set tomorrow, since the rest of my day is spent installing a new magenta head and catching up since I skipped work today for the Obama townhall meeting in Racine, WI!

Hope this wrap goes to use, since now its up in the air whether my grandfather will even ride in the parade... as he had a mild heart attack this weekend, but should be home from the hospital today!
Must have been a thrown clot, since the doctor found no blockages and says he's got the heart of a 50yr old... not bad for pushing 91!