• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV Curing = UV Protected?

Pete Moss

We have a competitor who claims to their customers that the flatbed UV light acts as a UV protectant as well.

To my knowledge this is false however the logic makes sense, if UV light cures ink perhaps UV sun rays would just cure the ink on the sign as well. Which I suppose is different than a protective layer.

I've done some quick google and signs101 searches with not much luck.

Can anyone shed some light (no pun intended) on this subject?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Pretty much all the inks for solvent/eco-solvent, latex, and UV have excellent UV resistant characteristics already built in to the ink since they are all intended for outdoor long term exposure. It sounds like a rep trying to win a client over who is on the fence between who they should use for their printing lol.

2B

you presumed correctly. and yes sales people and / or competitors are sneaky

AlsEU

UV light during curing starts polimerisation in the liquid ink (that's why one of the components is photoinitiators)- that changes the state of matter of the ink from liquid to solid. Colour change after some exposure to the sunlight takes place in the pigment (which is a different component). It's possible to find solvent screen printing inks with lightfastness up to 5 years without overprinting with varnish, but standard UV inks (screen/digital) have lightfastness up to 2 years without varnishing/laminating etc.

Robert Gruner

Als

DOT Traffic Signs are often screenprinted black ink on 3M/Avery/Nikkalite prismatic film are typically warranted to last out doors for up to 10 years without a laminate.

Avery sells a wide format digital printing system which uses an Avery "specially formulated" eco-solvent ink that printed on their media and laminated with their media is warranted to last outdoors 10 years. Personally, I do not understand why Avery only offers this wideformat digital printing system to DOT sign shops? If their "special" eco solvent ink really does last outdoors for ten years, you would think that every commercial signshop in the world would be lining up to by from Avery?

AlsEU

Als

DOT Traffic Signs are often screenprinted black ink on 3M/Avery/Nikkalite prismatic film are typically warranted to last out doors for up to 10 years without a laminate.

Avery sells a wide format digital printing system which uses an Avery "specially formulated" eco-solvent ink that printed on their media and laminated with their media is warranted to last outdoors 10 years. Personally, I do not understand why Avery only offers this wideformat digital printing system to DOT sign shops? If their "special" eco solvent ink really does last outdoors for ten years, you would think that every commercial signshop in the world would be lining up to by from Avery?

I didn't mean that longer lightfastness is not possible - but information, that there are some 'niche' products doesn't mean, that they will be popular. There must be a reason that this product is limited, if it would be so good, it could be sold in thousands...
I'm always afraid of "special inks", as they are very often designed for some limited applications and they are perfect there, but are not good in standard production.

Robert Gruner

Als

I concur. Avery is a big company. They advertise that their eco-solvent inks ( Spot colors traffic sign blue, yellow, black, green, brown, red and c,m,y,k) for their TrafficJet Printing System. They offer written guarantee that these inks will not fade? for up to 12 years (depending on substrate) and 10 years (depending on substrate) when printed on specific Avery Media and Laminated with specific Avery laminate. I do not know what the guarantee covers ie, Reprint media? or Replace entire sign?

See: http://reflectives.averydennison.com/en/home/trafficjet/durable-inks.html

What intrigues me the most is the fact that NO other Eco-Solvent Ink Manufacture has ever provided a warranty for their in that is longer than 3 years. Why doesnt Avery push their TrafficJet printing system to EVERY Sign Shop in the World?

Something's Fishy :)