• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV printer coating uv prints

danger

What are you all using to coat uv prints from a uv flatbed we are using a vanguard vrd5 and looking to direct print a 1" Komacel sign but for out door durability we understand its only 2 years looking to have a better longevity then that or should i just be print and installing ij180 on it.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
You have to test what clear coats are out there and compatible with your inks. Its really a trial and error method with your particular inks unless Vanguard has already done the testing and recommends a particular brand. Some of them recede back like orange peel and look like hell. Some lay flat and will adhere so/so. Not sure how solvent clears will work but acrylics are a bit tricky. Clearshield by Marabu works decently on our AGFA g5 inks but unsure of long term adhesion and UV resistance. I know there's a company in TX that specializes in uv clear coats that work with UV prints but I cannot recall the info. They recommended we send them some samples to test and it was kind of amazing that they were willing to do that for us.

The SignChef

We have used Avery Cast Laminate on our Vanguard prints for the last 3 years. Luster is our default finish. No failures yet!

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We do a couple film laminates for sure on our AGFA printer as well for thinner substrates and never an issue.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
With cast laminate, how well do these hold up? What about liquid lam, is it even worth putting it on and risking having adhesion issues?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Cast and a good calendared both hold up well for us on THIN and FLAT substrates. Remember, the extrusion of the plastic makes a difference. Normally we don't liquid coat but have used Marabu acrylic with reasonably good results. Again trial by error with liquid coating.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
We've had a liquid laminator for the last 15 years. If your looking for outdoor longevity, it really only adds 1-2 years to the already expected life span of the inks on that specific material. Coating is really more of a short term, inexpensive aesthetics solution and for non-critical pieces (coroplast, real estate ACM signs interior POP signs). If you really want longer term, we use 3M 8508 for most signs or 3M 8518 if we feel like we're really trying to reach the 10 year life span.

Signed Out

If applying film laminate to UV printed on white aluminum, is there adhesion issues? Do you need a thermal laminator or will top roller heat assist work?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In reality, all of this is probably for naught. For the most part, Komacel, is an interior substrate with VERY limited outdoor capabilities, regardless of the thickness being used. Oh..... and Komatex is even worse. No amount of liquid or rigid laminate will help with the longevity of the substrate.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
If applying film laminate to UV printed on white aluminum, is there adhesion issues? Do you need a thermal laminator or will top roller heat assist work?
No adhesion issues at all with film on UV Prints. We turn the heat up some to allow the adhesive to flow to avoid as much silvering as possible. We do this day in and day out with a 5 year lam....the prints look great

action

We've had a liquid laminator for the last 15 years. If your looking for outdoor longevity, it really only adds 1-2 years to the already expected life span of the inks on that specific material. Coating is really more of a short term, inexpensive aesthetics solution and for non-critical pieces (coroplast, real estate ACM signs interior POP signs). If you really want longer term, we use 3M 8508 for most signs or 3M 8518 if we feel like we're really trying to reach the 10 year life span.

Will this ( 3M 8508, 3M 8518) work with a calendared vinyl with EcoSolvent print applied to aluminum blank? I am looking to outdoor durability for bus stop sign?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Will this ( 3M 8508, 3M 8518) work with a calendared vinyl with EcoSolvent print applied to aluminum blank? I am looking to outdoor durability for bus stop sign?
8518 is the best choice IMO or a comparable CAST UV Laminate.