• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help UV printer how long can it sit

How long can a mimaki JFX200 flatbed uv printer remain unplugged in a warehouse? I am looking at hone used locally that has been unplugged for 3 weeks. Is it a lost cause? It is only 3 years old, and was printing perfectly before being unplugged.

Marshallmax

How long can a mimaki JFX200 flatbed uv printer remain unplugged in a warehouse? I am looking at hone used locally that has been unplugged for 3 weeks. Is it a lost cause? It is only 3 years old, and was printing perfectly before being unplugged.
If there is ink in the lines then you have a lot of expenses coming up. Possibly a new print head. . . Not a lost cause though!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would have them plug it in and run a nozzle check for you. In my experience UV does much better than solvent when sitting around but it can still cause issues.

Pricey

I have the same machine and for 3 years. I power off at the wall as I get random Motor x errors when it does it's auto cleans when powered off at the green button. Over Christmas breaks it sits off for three weeks, power up and the test print looks ordinary one normal clean on both head banks and 100% all ok but it is running Dual CMYK.

Thank yo all for the feedback! Do any of you know how I would tell if the company did an ink flush before transporting it? I am not sure how to check for that. Would the ink bottles be filled with clear solution?

PaPrinter

We have the same machine, if UV light hasn't gotten to the heads, I doubt there will be a problem. There is a method to let the heads soak in the "Mimaki washing liquid" if there is a problem. I wouldn't worry if there is ink still in the lines as UV can't get to it. If they we're using white then this advice may not be accurate.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Buying a used flatbed is a horrible idea!!! You don't even know what to ask these people, you have wayyyyy more things you are not even considering yet. I guarantee this is going to turn into a nightmare.

PaPrinter

Buying a used flatbed is a horrible idea!!! You don't even know what to ask these people, you have wayyyyy more things you are not even considering yet. I guarantee this is going to turn into a nightmare.

You have a very good point. Unless you can test it, you taking a risk. How do you know for sure it was printing "Perfectly"?

rjssigns

My main concern is if the OP would need a tech. Used = no warranty and 100% out of pocket to get it fixed. But....if OP can get it for pennies on the dollar it may be worth a shot.

Andy D

Do you know how I would be able to tell?

I'm not savvy about Mimaki flatbeds. On a bulk ink system I would check the ink tanks, if they
had been flushed there would be some solvent and no ink.

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
If the one in question is the eBay unit for $25k in Irvine, the person I spoke to through the messenger says that "It was not disassembled, and copier delivery guys delivered it as is. Ink bottles were removed before shipping" so I'm guessing the ink was not purged from the unit. I considered going to check it out since it's in my real close to me, but I'm guessing it's going to be a mess. Whole unit needs to be level and the carriage needs to be set properly (especially after transport).

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If the machine was properly uninstalled there is no reason to think it's bad idea. I had a JFX that started out as a trade show machine, was decommissioned, shipped across the country to us where we demoed it for a while, then decommissioned it ourselves and shipped it across the country, then installed it again for the customer. No issues because it was done correctly. I've been hired multiple times to do the same for customers selling their machine. Finding out if that was what was done will be the hard part. Have you asked them?

Andy D

If they can't demo it and it's strictly sold "as is", but it looks to be in good shape,
I offer a lowball price; best-case it works with little to no repair investment, worst
case you recoup by selling off the parts.