Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help UV printer how long can it sit

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Thomas Fischetti, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Thomas Fischetti

Thomas Fischetti Member

Oct 19, 2017
    salt lake city, Utah
    How long can a mimaki JFX200 flatbed uv printer remain unplugged in a warehouse? I am looking at hone used locally that has been unplugged for 3 weeks. Is it a lost cause? It is only 3 years old, and was printing perfectly before being unplugged.

Tags:
  2. Marshallmax

Marshallmax Member

Oct 11, 2019
    Ohio
    If there is ink in the lines then you have a lot of expenses coming up. Possibly a new print head. . . Not a lost cause though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I would have them plug it in and run a nozzle check for you. In my experience UV does much better than solvent when sitting around but it can still cause issues.

4. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    They would normally flush the ink out before storing, do you know if they did or not?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Solventinkjet

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Yeah I jumped the gun on that. if it's flushed properly and then unplugged it should be good. If not, there could be issue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pricey

Pricey New Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Australia
    I have the same machine and for 3 years. I power off at the wall as I get random Motor x errors when it does it's auto cleans when powered off at the green button. Over Christmas breaks it sits off for three weeks, power up and the test print looks ordinary one normal clean on both head banks and 100% all ok but it is running Dual CMYK.

7. Thomas Fischetti

Thomas Fischetti Member

Oct 19, 2017
    salt lake city, Utah
    Thank yo all for the feedback! Do any of you know how I would tell if the company did an ink flush before transporting it? I am not sure how to check for that. Would the ink bottles be filled with clear solution?

8. Thomas Fischetti

Thomas Fischetti Member

Oct 19, 2017
    salt lake city, Utah
    Do you know how I would be able to tell?

9. PaPrinter

PaPrinter Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    We have the same machine, if UV light hasn't gotten to the heads, I doubt there will be a problem. There is a method to let the heads soak in the "Mimaki washing liquid" if there is a problem. I wouldn't worry if there is ink still in the lines as UV can't get to it. If they we're using white then this advice may not be accurate.

10. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Buying a used flatbed is a horrible idea!!! You don't even know what to ask these people, you have wayyyyy more things you are not even considering yet. I guarantee this is going to turn into a nightmare.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PaPrinter

PaPrinter Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    You have a very good point. Unless you can test it, you taking a risk. How do you know for sure it was printing "Perfectly"?

12. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    My main concern is if the OP would need a tech. Used = no warranty and 100% out of pocket to get it fixed. But....if OP can get it for pennies on the dollar it may be worth a shot.

13. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Do you know how I would be able to tell?

I'm not savvy about Mimaki flatbeds. On a bulk ink system I would check the ink tanks, if they
    had been flushed there would be some solvent and no ink.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Greg Kelm

Greg Kelm Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    If the one in question is the eBay unit for $25k in Irvine, the person I spoke to through the messenger says that "It was not disassembled, and copier delivery guys delivered it as is. Ink bottles were removed before shipping" so I'm guessing the ink was not purged from the unit. I considered going to check it out since it's in my real close to me, but I'm guessing it's going to be a mess. Whole unit needs to be level and the carriage needs to be set properly (especially after transport).

15. Solventinkjet

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    If the machine was properly uninstalled there is no reason to think it's bad idea. I had a JFX that started out as a trade show machine, was decommissioned, shipped across the country to us where we demoed it for a while, then decommissioned it ourselves and shipped it across the country, then installed it again for the customer. No issues because it was done correctly. I've been hired multiple times to do the same for customers selling their machine. Finding out if that was what was done will be the hard part. Have you asked them?

16. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    If they can't demo it and it's strictly sold "as is", but it looks to be in good shape,
    I offer a lowball price; best-case it works with little to no repair investment, worst
    case you recoup by selling off the parts.