Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UV Printing on DiBond

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by ProColorGraphics, Mar 13, 2020.

1. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    To those who print onto DiBond (ACP, MaxMetal, Etc.) with a UV printer, wondering what you use to clean the panel with before printing? ie. alcohol, cleaner, adhesion promoter, etc.

Tags:
  2. rdm01

rdm01 Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland Metro Area
    99% Isopropyl alcohol. Some ACM works better than others. We've found some you can scrape off with your thumb nail, while others (not even necessarily the designated "digital print" variety) will have a much higher bond with the ink.

3. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    70/30 ISO has been best since we switched to Vanguard.

4. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Not sure if it matters, but figured I better put that I am using a Fuji LED right now.

5. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Nothing. Just roll the liner off using a core and we're good to go.

6. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    If you can pull the liner off in one smooth movement without any stops, just print without cleaning as Bly said.
    Otherwise we have to hit the entire panel with 99% iso as it leaves lines where the liner stops momentarily while peeling off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

When we uv print acm for the trade
    we just peel the liner and go.

Try different suppliers. The finish is not always the same. Some will work better with you inkset. Light colors are always harder as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. cstone94

cstone94 Pro-Graphx

Feb 22, 2016
    United States
    I’ve tried a few brands of ACM, including importing 400 panels from 2 different Chinese manufacturers. After dealing with inconsistent ink adhesion, even with promoters, I calculated all of the time and wasted materials and switched to Grimco’s MaxMetalDP. Peel the liner off, which takes about 2 seconds, and print away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    If you can get it, Aluminate with .012 faces works best for us.

10. ItsNujo

ItsNujo New Member

Mar 15, 2020
    Oklahoma
    I print regularly on Max Metal. I’ve found that I really have to put some muscle into cleaning it. I used 90% Alcohol, a micro fiber, and clean it no less than two times. Normally I go for 3. Other wise I tend to get marks from the release liner in my lighter colors. Same problem with printing on Luster board.

11. chinaski

chinaski Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Finland
    I never clean the panel before printing with any chemical. Only use an anti-static brush to remove any debris. If I try to use 99% isopropyl alcohol, it will leave streaking marks on the surface, no matter how thorough I am.

I'm using Oce Arizona 257 inks. When I used Marabu inks (more industrial), I would generally clean surface with alcohol if there was any debris, since streaking wasn't an issue with that ink, but adhesion has never been an issue either way. I prefer using a soft bristle brush —faster and covers more areas