• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV Topcoat or Aqueous

RycckG

Hello, we are an aqueous digital printer onto corrugated cardboard. I am looking at topcoat options. We are considering aqueous and UV. My experience has been that UV produces a deeper, richer gloss than aqueous. Does anyone have experience with both? Is UV alway a better choice for deeper gloss?

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure I understand the question, but I think you are trying to clear coat Cor-X ??

Just a simple... why ??

They aren't going to last long so why do you need to clear them ??

Are you printing direct or onto adhesive backed vinyl ??

Anything gloss will give anything a crisper look or appearance which equates to a slightly more brilliant image. From a distance, this won't do anything for you.

RycckG

Thx for your reply.. We are printing on cardboard, as in cardboard boxes. The gloss is needed on the POP and Display side of the business. Floor standees and retail merchandisers in particular. Currently we digitally print onto cardboard and than apply a film lamination to create a high gloss image. We need to move to a liquid coating...

Thanks in Advance,
Rick

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Oops: misread that part about the cardboard.

I would imagine it all depends on your quantity. If you're doing 100's or 1,000's as you indicted in other threads, I would imagine spraying it on would be your most cost effective method. I would not recommend spraying water based and do you have the room for an OSHA spray booth and equipment to do it right ??

I'm not sure if your cardboard is pre-coated such as show-card or not, but most clears are gonna soak up like crazy. Most of the cardboards I'm familiar with are very porous and won't take to clear-coating very well.

Show us a picture of one of these stands and maybe someone here can help you a little more.

http://www.neschenamericas.com/websites/sealbrands/neschen.nsf/htmlalias/lcsaccucure60uv&80uv

We have the Accucure 60 it is perfect for exactly what you are describing. You have 2 tanks of lam in the machine. We run one with super hi gloss and one with a variable gloss (satin). Makes prints "POP" like night and day from right off printer. UV Cured, Very Very fast, simple to use and about $.03 s/f for heavy gloss finish.

Will set you back about $70K and requires 100 amps to run but well worth it...

RycckG

Thx guys.. I appreciate the comments. I am familiar with the Drytac version of the UV coater you referred. It works really well. Have you ever compared the finished the UV coat to an Aqueous coat? I imagine it is night and day...

The cardboard would either be a clay coated variety or have a pre-coat applied in line. The manufacturer wants to use a aqueous post coat, I am skeptical of the gloss achievable.

Thx ... I know you were both pretty skeptical regarding my specs on the new printer. I expected to have the deal signed by now and I could share the manufacturers specs and product announcement. I expect the industry will be quite surprised...

ATC-Finishing

rycckg,

ATC is the manufacturer of the Neschen and Drytac 60/80UV coater. We are now selling into the market direct, making it much more affordable to purchase even in tough economic times. Let me know if you would like to be quoted on a new one. I am also aware of some used ones (WorldWide Graphics-Chris Beebe) on the market for re-sale which are in great shape!

For your application I definitely recommend UV coating
1)Better Color pop
2)Better chem resist
3)much less daily clean up
4)half the sq/ft cost (UV approx 2 cents per sq/ft)
5)can run at speeds up to 80fpm

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marc Tischer
ATC 410 634 9381