• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV vs Printed Vinyl Pros and Cons

Emd2kick

I can load a roll to roll, hit print, then spend the next 7.5 hours doing other work. Takes maybe 20-30 minutes to laminate/trim it down to 4 x 8s....Then it takes maybe 2-5 minutes to mount each one, depending on how heavy the source material is. If it's coro...we dont even bother laminating, since it's a temp sign. So we're talking less than 2 hours of manpower to mount 20 4 x 8.s of course you have to factor in your roll to roll being used... but this is just for simplicity sake.

Printing the coro... When its a temp, under a year sign... you generally dont need to clean coro when mounting it. A small particle of dust here or there on a temp sign doesnt hurt nothing. However if theres particles on a uv print... the print will have white specs in it. So you have to clean... load, print... to get good quality on our FB500, you have to use indoor signage at least. I never really timed it, but lets say it takes 8 minutes.

I usually load a sheet... hit print, then try to find something to do. Whether its cut vinyl / weed it, laminate some rolls... etc. So yes, all 8 minutes isnt wasted... But I'm never back at the exact time a print finishes. Its pretty much always faster for us to do roll to roll on bigger signs.

Smaller signs is another thing... we can load 3 18x30 signs at once, hit print... then within a minute or two load 3 more... etc etc. it beats registering and mounting 300 signs any day of the week.

They both have their upsides/Downsides. It's kind of like asking someone which is better... a Wrench, or a hammer. Different tools for different uses. for the most part... Our flatbed is running 6-7 hours a day, and our roll to roll is about the same. We get some spurts where we have 20+ rolls to print, or 500+ Coro signs to print... But they both get a decent amount of use.

I find the Flatbed prints text way smoother/cleaner than our solvent. I like how the flatbed is cured (Enough to ship at least) instantly, and we can handle/touch the stuff and ship it out same day, while our solvent sits for a night. I like how if I need to print 5 small labels... I just rip them to the flatbed, throw in a scrap piece of vinyl and hit print... Much, much easier to do than the roll to roll. I find both machines very useful, and I think if we lost either one... half of our business would go down the drain. So if its in your budget... get both.

Just no dude, your defending that the earth is flat at this point...

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I'll take 3 Hours of production total at a higher margin vs 1.25 days worth of work at a lower margin
This is the key....less production time, and eliminating the cost of vinyl from the equation. And not having to sub out to a screen printer for large jobs, which we lose control of turnaround time and quality.