Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vacation Time - Gulf Shores Alabama Here I Come

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by idsignsil, Feb 5, 2013.

1. idsignsil

idsignsil Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Springfield, IL
    Ok, so I am not leaving until Sunday the 10th, but I wanted to put this out before I left. I will be flying down and staying on the beach on the Alabama side of the Florida/Alabama line. When we walk on the beach we cross over into Florida. This will be our second time down in 3 years.

Anyway, are there any of you in the area that would recommend any restaurants?

Also, any shops with in an hour drive that would allow me to come by and talk shop? Maybe see how you guys do things down south...

Thanks,
    Chad

Tags:
  2. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    We spent some time in Daphne and Fair Hope and went to Old Bay Steamer. It was really good at the time.

...just went to get the link and it looks like they closed down.

3. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    for a fun time and good food, The Hangout is good. Breakfast in the mornings definitely Hazels cafe.

4. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Have fun.
    But the grandma in me wants to tell you that announcing you're leaving town on an open forum means that maybe some nefarious robber will pay you a visit.
    Love....Jill

5. idsignsil

idsignsil Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Springfield, IL
    Jill, thanks for looking out for me. As far as the business goes, there are still 5 other people working including the 2 owners, (I am the graphic designer/print manager/installer), but there is another guy who can manage while I am gone. I have neighbors looking after the house.

Visual - I will have to check out Hazels. We usually go to Cafe Beignet, doughnut puffs with powdered sugar, they are delicious.

6. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    You could hang out with OP, he's out that way. I'm a few hours east of there.

7. BlueFishDesigns

BlueFishDesigns Very Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    I lived in Gulf Shores from 2005 - 2008. Worked at Signs Plus in Foley, about 5 miles before you get to Gulf Shores. I'd say stop in but I'm not there anymore and the owner isn't a member here.

Visit the Wharf while you're there. It's on Canal Rd on the way to Orange Beach. Great shopping, restaurants, an ampitheater and a HUGE ferris wheel!

8. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    I haven't been there in years, but what a gorgeous area. I really need to get down there soon.

9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Have fun and don't ruin your vacation by checking in here from time to time............ :Big Laugh​

10. SD&F

SD&F Very Active Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I hope you have a great trip. I got away back in December for a few days and there
    is absolutley nothing that makes you feel better than the warmer climate, sand and sea.

11. supersignmart

supersignmart Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Ruston, LA
    gotta check out Doc's for the best gumbo and the best boiled shrimp

12. supersignmart

supersignmart Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Ruston, LA
    Jimmy Buffett sister's restaurant LuLu's is a really neat place to eat also.

13. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    Go get drunk at the florabama. I have some stories I could tell about that place... if I could just remember them.

14. I hope you have a great vacation, I am jealous. I need a vacation soon but have to wait until the end of the month.

Post some pics for us when you get back if you take any.

15. idsignsil

idsignsil Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Springfield, IL
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    BlueFish - I went to the Wharf the last time I was down there, I remember the big ferris wheel
    Petesign - I have also been drunk at the florabama, the walk to the condo is two buildings to the Alabama side, so I made it back in one piece.