• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VACUBOND Paper -vs- regular craft paper from the hardware store for vacuum table

Tom Dalton

We want to use paper for overspray on full bleeds. I know we could just print on the bed and scrape it off, but we want to do it differently.

So,

VACUBOND Paper -vs- regular craft paper from the hardware store for vacuum table protection (and registration).

I see the product called VACUBOND at http://www.amazon.com/OCE-VACUBOND-Bond-Flatbed-500/dp/B00PUOPZV0

At the sign show I was at, the sales rep for a flatbed printer said he used some reddish craft paper available an Lowes and Menards.

So, is the VACUBOND better or just regular paper that has been branded as special vacuum table paper?

I would say you should get a roll of whatever is cheaper and try. I'm thinking if you put a full sheet of craft paper across the vaccumm table that it wouldn't hold down your item that is being printed on anymore. But the Vacubond paper is porus enough that it lets air through so whatever you put on top of it is also being vacuumed down. Unforuanately I don't think the give you the porosity of craft paper like they do for the vacubond paper.

DallasM

I'd stick with Vacubond. I use it everyday. I put a sheet on in the morning, use the back half for nozzle checks, front half for templates. Its thinner than average copier paper at 17lb weight and pulls about a 5lb vacuum on the full bed. I tried Uline's paper. While it seals the vacuum, I had to cut out the shape of whatever I was printing to be able to vacuum to the piece. With Vacubond, I print a template on the paper if needed. Put the piece down on the printed outline and print away. If I can't get a successful vacuum on smaller or lightweight pieces, just poke some holes through the paper under the piece being printed.

lgroth

We use rolls of white news print paper. Last I heard we were shelling out about $50 for a 4' X 1,700' roll, it's definitely affordable. prints outlines nice, semi-porous to hold down bigger pieces, cuts easy if you have to do cutouts to hold small or stubborn pieces down, and cheap... Did I mention it's cheap?

dvdcr

What we do is, since we print mostly on metals, we have a magnet sheet that hold the items and on top of that we place regular paper to print the patterns and then we place the items on top. It works pretty well, I am just concerned about reflection from the white paper hitting the heads. That is why I am looking for black paper. I am guessing the uLine black paper should work fine.