• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vacuum Hold Down Question

I work for a shop that is preparing the purchase our first CNC machine. None of us have any previous experience with them. I think we're going to get the 4'x8' shopbot. Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the hold down system that would be sufficient for holding coroplast, pvc, maxmetal, etc. Thanks in advance for all your help.

rossmosh

The most affordable option is the "Black Box" vacuum system. Basically it's 4 home vacuums plumbed together. I have one with 2 on a 4x8 table and I'm just waiting for the next project to upgrade to 4. You can buy one ready to go on the net or build your own. It's not rocket science. Also runs on 220v (30A). This is a very proven option but please understand it is not for heavy commercial use. The next step up is a vacuum pump. These will be more expensive but they're built to run all the time. The biggest "issue" with these is the 3 phase power. Some buildings don't have it and if you do, it can be expensive wiring for it.

As for the table. MDO or plywood base. .75" or 1" Medex or similar cabinet grade MDF plenum. Surface and cut your grid into it. Seal with several coats of poly. Also I made this mistake, but you want to split your zones up using strips in between. Glue the spoil board down to plenum. Spoil board should be made of Trupan/LDF. Whether you need to skin both sides of the LDF is up for discussion. Some say just skin one side. Others say do both.

Just so you know, you really can't cut Coroplast with a router bit. You'll need a drag knife. Also don't expect the vac table to work for everything. Full sheets is where you're going to love the vac table. Cutting out of scrap pieces, I'd expect to throw a screw or 3 in the material.

fixtureman

Shop Bot has a plenum file in their sb parts folder. I use 2 Fein vacs on my 4x8 Shop Bot go on their forum and put in black box vacumm