• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vacuum silencer/muffler

briant1362

Our CET 500Q flatbed did not come with silencers/mufflers on the vacuum blowers which means it is really, really loud. Our shop has an open floorplan so it is difficult to answer phones, have conversations, etc. when the printer is running. At the Orlando show, I was amazed at how quietly the new flatbeds are compared to ours. After some googling, it seems like this type of muffler/silencer would work best. Does anyone have any insight on whether this type of silencer is appropriate?

Thanks in advance.

rjssigns

Those work, but are super expensive. I used to build and install all types of ring blowers, chill jets, air knives etc... The tubular ones are the exact same construction as a glass pack muffler for a car(wink wink). Tubular units still need to get capped with a filter regardless.

Most intake noise comes from the intakes of blowers/compressors. If possible you can suspend sound dampening material around the unit(s). It will kill a couple db's. Was an open cell foam with perforated vinyl on one surface. Can't remember the P/N though.

Was similar to this: http://www.polytechinc.com/products/absorption.php

If you're DIY you can check Youtube. Some decent vids there.

Upshot is you will only have to buy the parts once since you're in a clean environment.

briant1362

A big thanks to rjssigns...the glasspack muffler idea worked great. I attached one to each of the two blowers with some basic pvc fittings and it has made a big difference with little to no impact on vacuum suction. The mufflers are so cheap I'm going to add another pair to see if I can get it even quieter.

rjssigns

A big thanks to rjssigns...the glasspack muffler idea worked great. I attached one to each of the two blowers with some basic pvc fittings and it has made a big difference with little to no impact on vacuum suction. The mufflers are so cheap I'm going to add another pair to see if I can get it even quieter.

Good to hear..LOL.

Another thing you may want to do is cap the mufflers with an air filter. Will help to quiet the in rush. Filter housing.png

We used all different sized units like pictured.

Kept small particles and other flotsam out of the works and ultimately off the web.

Another option(inlet side) would be to use an air box(air cleaner holder) from a car or small truck. They are designed from the factory to quiet the incoming air stream.

Or you could always put a K&N style(non-oiled mesh though) on the end of the muffler.

Link for pictured filter housing: http://www.aircompressorpartsonline...56av-air-filter-housing-welement-p-21162.html

Would have to make sure you have an adequate CFM rating though. I didn't check the one pictured.