• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Valspar acrylic "blackboard" paint - WILL VINYL STICK?

iSign

I'm doing 2 small MDO sandwich boards for one of my best clients. They will have digital printed custom colored vinyl faces, with a custom shaped chalkboard section centered within the laminated prints. I plan to paint the entire (20" x 20") faces with the chalkboard paint, because I have to paint them anyway, & this seems the most efficient way to get the custom shaped chalkboard area done.

I can imagine numerous other ways to get it done, if the vinyl won't stick, so I'm not asking for other ways... I know of other ways...

I'M POSTING TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS TRIED TO STICK VINYL TO WATER BASED BLACKBOARD PAINT!

ANYONE TRY IT? DID IT STICK?

I've always had better results sticking vinyl to enamel, although I've had success with some acrylic paints too. I've noticed that the more sheen, the better adhesion, so the slate-like sheen (or lack there-of) of chalkboard paint has me concerned... but I don't want to waste the time of painting a sample board IF, someone here may already have direct experience with a similar acrylic chalkboard paint.

westpointsigns

I have a contractor that brings me his signboards already painted with a flat or semi-gloss house paint. The vinyl sticks just fine.
However I do use a little heat and roll it after removing the app tape because the paint roller leaves the surface kind of textured.
He has 2 of them up right now and one has been up for a year and a half.

So I would think it would work just as long as you don't chalk it up first.

showcase 66

I have used the Krylon chalkboard paint and it worked fine. I also have some of the Valspar blackboard acrylic but have not used it yet. I got it for another job coming up. Didnt think about the vinyl sticking to it until I read this thread.

Will be interested on how it turns out.

eye4clr

I just did a couple of A frame sandwich boards with chalkboard areas along side digitally printed areas. I cut contoured the vinyl then painted and applied it. Seemed to work easily. The vinyl was general formulations 222, 6mil perm ABV.