• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

value jet 1204 bad nozzle check on black

PreImp

Hi everyone. I have a vj 1204 and recently noticed that when printing solid black, I was getting very poor quality(almost starts off green and then gets a little better). I did a nozzle check and noticed that approx half of the black pattern is missing. I did some research and did a few head soaks to see if it would break it loose. Did 30 mins at a time and then cleaning cycle (2 times) and then let it so over night and did another clean in the morning. The nozzle check pattern is pretty much exactly the same. The CMY are totally fine. I was hoping someone could guide me as to what the next thing I should try.

Thanks.

Empty the waste tray and clean it out. Then run 3 strong cleanings. After they are done, check the tray. Is there ink? We need to know if the maintenance station is working properly.

ademio

hello, I have a similar problem with my vj1204, but a week ago that the nozzles of black do not go correctly. I've done cycles of 4.5 followed strong cleaning and nozzles not improve. they change positions but are never complete. other colors are normal. the ink is usually the maintenance station for the tray
photo3.jpg photo4.jpg photo2.jpg photo4.jpg photo4.jpg photo4.jpg

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 251

ademio

a technician switched the service station two weeks ago and did the head cleaning solvent, for 2 days it worked normally but then never returned to normal.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Run a cleaning cycle and watch the waste tubes to see if any ink is flowing. If not, the cap top is probably not sealing properly. If ink is flowing, make sure your wiper is really clean and flat on top. Also, make sure that you are in low head height when not using the machine and when running cleaning cycles.

PreImp

So far.. I

I took out waste tank and ran 3 strong cleaning cycles and there was ink in the waste tank after, so that seems to be working. I have attached a picture of the nozzle check. I was having trouble uploading the picture, but hopefully it made it through. I ran the cleaning mode in low head height ast well and always store it in low head height. Thanks everyone for all of your help.

Attachments

• nozzleCheck.jpg
    nozzleCheck.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 223

PreImp

Just checking to see if anyone would have any other options I could take a look at in regards to the clogged black nozzle on my vj1204. Thanks again..

heyskull

OK then that is looking serious and by the looks of things you have nozzles missing on other colours too.
Could you show me the whole test print as I can get a clearer picture of what is blocked?

You are going to have to act fast on this, as the longer you leave the nozzles blocked the harder it will be to clean them (if at all!).

First clean all around the capping station and the wiper.
Second clean all round the print head and ramps either side (do not touch the print head)
Third definitely make sure that both the ink lines running from the pump are pulling ink (not the pipe to the waste bottle). As it can be hard to see both lines are pulling ink.
Once you have done this run at least a couple of strong cleans.
Then test to see if any of the nozzles have come back.
If little or no improvement I would make some lint free pads the same shape as the capping station base plate and soak with solvent cleaning fluid and move the head over onto it and leave to soak for a couple of hours.
Then after doing a couple of more cleans do a test print to check if anything has come back.
Keep us informed of your progress.

SC

PreImp

Thank you for all of that info. I have done the head soak probably 5 or 6 times now and ran strong cleaning cycles after each. I cleaned the capping station and the wiper as well with the cleaning solution from a cleaning cartridge I broke open. The nozzle check for all of the other print head is nearly perfect, so it's just the Black. Whats the best way to test if both lines are pulling ink from the pump?? I haven't checked that yet. Thanks again.. I really appreciate it.

artbot

cross the lines. to prove it the issue is coming from above, or not, place a good channels ink/damper line onto the black manifold's nipple. if you get a clean test pattern then you have an air leak contaminating the black channel. or sometimes possible a bad bath of black ink. also, by placing the black channels lines on the adjacent channel you can see if the issue travels with the damper/lines.

heyskull

One line pulls black and cyan and the other yellow and magenta.
But because they are open on the cap they both will pull a bit of each colour.
I would maybe think along the same lines as artbot on this one.
These machines tend to thrive if used a lot but can be temperamental if only used occasionally.
Also if your print head is four years or older I would be changing the print head and cables also.

SC

2quick4u

damper

replace the black dampers and return he head to the station hook a syringe to the evac lines and suck the air out watch the black lines to make sure you get all the air out
ps there are 2 evac lines side by side when drawing from one you have to plug the other

PreImp

Thanks for all of this info. I got backed up and haven't had time to check it out, but I will give all of this a try this weekend..

Where should I pick up the dampers for this??? Any recommendations??

Ill post results to let you know and hopefully get to the bottom of this.

itljcloud

Been having similar issues.

First possibility Airleak. Could be losing prime while it sits and when it is used again the black may have traveled backwards into the line and no black is coming out right away. If you print several of the same black blocks in a row and it seems to be getting better as it does each, that's a telltale sign.

Second possibility is hairline crack where damper plugs into adapter manifold. I have seen this on some of the videos for the "Print Doctor" machines. They were getting air bubbles repeatedly in the fluid on the K and C channels. They took a syringe with clean fluid, stuck a hose on it and lightly pumped some fluid into the head and could see fluid coming out the crack. It was hard to see with just looking at it. If you are saying someone just replaced something, it could have cracked when the dampers were put back on. That plastic gets brittle due to the eco solvent inks.

Check to make sure damper fittings are tight at the top of the damper, could be leaking air. If your printer is old like mine (7 years) may want to order some new tiny O-rings to go on all the lines at the dampers and above near where the long ink lines split into 2 lines and then go down to print head.

I have a VJ1204, and a VJ1604 which are very close to the same and since Any service call is at least $2500 I have taken the time to trouble shoot and learn to fix them myself. 99% of the time it is something with the maintenance station or capping station. That's the key to all of it. It has to have a good seal with the head when it is in parked position to be able to pull ink thru and keep it flowing to print nice.

It's best to leave the printer on when you are not using it. It does an auto clean cycle every 6 hours or so, and you can change that frequency. It's way better to pay for the ink than to pay for the repair man!

PreImp

Uh oh

So I think I really screwed something up.. I switched the black lines to the cyan lines to check the nozzle print and now I have lost both the Black and Cyan lines. When I put them back to normal, it didn't work either.. When I print black I see a real faint beige color.. Ugh.. Any suggestions..?? Thanks

PreImp

damper

So black is basically red and blue is pretty much nothing. I have air in the cyan lines now because I took off the damper. How do I syringe it back?. I pulled ink through the line cyan line, but it gets air when I try to place the line back on the damper. Oh yeah and it seems to be spraying now.. Oh man did I screw up...