• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Value of a vinyl installer? Wrapper?

ams

Their product. I don't know anything about either of their classes so I can't say much there. But if your using a horrible vinyl, I can't imagine the class is very helpful.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
I too have the same experience you do + CNC routing experience. However, at my last shop was where I came in sweeping the floor and barely knew anything besides basic vinyl. Unfortunately I was always treated as the "young" guy, no matter how much money I saved them or got their $80K thermoforming press to work after 6 months of R&D testing that was sold to them as a push button setup.

I was lucky enough to then find an owner who doesn't micromanage me and respects me regardless of my age and now I run the entire shop. I make $15 an hour but our minimum wage is less than $8 being in Arkansas. We are growing rapidly and I expect to see a good raise after some changes I made reflect on the quarterlies.

No matter how much value you bring to the table or feel like you're carrying the business. Always put in the effort to be better, and then negotiate based on the facts. Keep track of everything you do, even the small stuff like purchasing or changing suppliers to save a little money here and there, that type of stuff. It adds up to one big list of reasons why your boss can't say no the next time you ask for a raise. Otherwise it's a list to show your new boss all the things you're capable of to negotiate a starting salary where you're coming in as an expert.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Because 3M is a pile of trash and Avery isn't much better.

3M a pile of trash & Avery not much better?
Funny, some feel that same way about Oracal & Arlon.
Opinions...not to be confused with facts, and this forum is full of 'em.

It at least adds a little weight to our opinions when they are joined with examples or evidence.

Andy D

Yeah, with you taking every job from the beginning to the end, you should be making a lot more, and he probably knows it.
If you like it there and want to stay, I would sit down and tell him how it is, and try to negotiate a base rate of what you're making now
and a % of the gross from every wrap job. Just to be clear, that's the $13 you're making now Plus a percentage, probably 5% - 10% off the top, wraps still have a hefty
markup and if he can't afford to pay you that, then he's not charging enough.