• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Valuejet 1604 pf current error

Tel

Our 1604 valuejet was giving the pf current error, on investigation the encoder gear wheel was found to be cracked around it's fixing holes and the gear wheel was quite loose on the shaft, fiddling about with these screws would get it to work most times so a new encoder gear wheel and encoder disc was ordered. The parts arrived yesterday and the wheel was a lovely tight fit on the shaft, it needed a good push to put on but no hammering and the new encoder disc was fitted, the printer worked fine all afternoon and we thought great it's fixed. This morning we came into work and the 1604 was once again coming up with the pf current error and won't print.
The print feed shaft seems free enough to me and I even stripped the motor which was exceptionally clean I don't see anything wrong with it, belt is running nicely in the gears no running up the side of any of the gears but not totally in the middle.
Anyone any ideas please.
regards
Tel

heyskull

The actual encoder disc may be misshapen/buckled which may be letting the sensor touch the disc.
Rotate whilst looking at the disc sensor gap.
Also there is a spacer that goes in between the shaft and the assembly which centres the assembly, this was a later amendment and could be the problem.
The early 1604s did not have this spacer.

SC

Tel

Would that spacer be about 12inches in and held in with allen screws if so our machine has it fitted. Disc looks to be rotating fine it moves a little but doesn't touch the sensor, it was warmer yesterday when I fitted the parts I will try slackening and re tightening. Thanks for your input Heyskull
regards
Tel

heyskull

The spacer gets inserted in the middle of the encoder disk assembly on the shaft at the front. Roughly around were the three screws are.
I had a picture somewhere but I am struggling to find it.
If I come across it I will post it.
Is your encoder disk touching the sensor or waving about?

SC

Tel

We don't have a spacer in there, and only 2 screws hold our assembly on to the shaft and 4 screws secure the disc holder to the gear the encoder disc which is new is running very well not touching the sensor, our supplier over here reckons it's the motor and is sending us one to try and will take it back if it doesn't cure the problem, I have stripped the motor and have some experience with brushed motors and I find it as clean a motor as I have ever seen, unless something electrical is breaking down in it I am not confident with our suppliers thoughts on it being the motor, my next move if the motor doesn't fix it would be the sensor.
I will let you know the outcome
regards and thanks for the help
Tel

Tel

Update to our problem, the pf motor finally arrived and was fitted and it did the job the printer seems to be functioning properly, we did get one scare though when we first switched on it alarmed and came up with the CR error but that was the head carriage hold back sticking a little after not getting much use, a quick clean up and off it went and has been printing fine now for about 3 days work.
Thanks for the help much appreciated
regards
Tel

heyskull

When this message originally appeared we also changed the PF motor as all the tecs said this was the issue.
Also the issue went away but then reappeared a couple of days later.
It turns out that when you ease the pressure of the drive belt of slightly this will change the shape of the encoder disc without the spacer.
I hope the pf motor is your problem as they are very expensive and if you were not as lucky as us to be able to send it back for a refund.

SC

Tel

Thanks heyskull, yes I would agree that with what you say about easing the pressure and it de-stressing the disc, in our case we changed the disc and the gear wheel and disc holder, in fact the gear boss on the shaft was split and a very sloppy fit, originally I thought this was our problem when I renewed those parts it worked like a dream for the rest of that day next day it was back to eo74 pf current error, since then I have obviously fitted the pf motor and it's now getting on for a week and no more pf current errors so fingers crossed it is fixed. This is an early 1604 we also have a new 1624 and the difference in the way the encoder disc and motor is mounted is like day and night the 1624 has a more substantial and extra mount.
I don't run the machine but get the job of looking at it when there is a problem and my Boss told me yesterday that it has been telling him that the cr motor life cycle is used up and he thinks maybe he saw it for the pf motor as well but these have been coming up periodically for a year, so I'm guessing we might need a cr motor soon as well.
regards
Tel