• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Valuejet 64"

SignsRus

I did a head wash last night for the first time. The whole process went smooth, and after it completed I shut the system down for the evening.

I came in this morning to run a test print for a huge trailer we are wrapping this week.

I was getting no ink from black or cyan

I ran several strong cleanings, and it seems it's bouncing back & forth between which head is working the best. I can do several nozzle checks in a row, and 1 time the black will be great, the next time the black will be horrible.

I just tried printing a bunch of 4" x 4" blocks of each color, and only the black is getting what appears to be banding.

Getting really worried huge amount of printing to do, and the majority of it is black.

Any help?

randya

Just what are you calling a 'head wash'

Normally, this would entail inserting cleaning carts and flushing the system of all ink.

Cy Fan

You should only need to do a head wash a couple times a year or when changing ink. Other than that I would recommend for regular matainence a good head cleaning. That way you keep the ink moving through the lines with out completly flushing them and wasting a large amout of ink and solvent.

Valentino

little charge works great for getting lines back. it's under the cleaning menu.

4 little charges are the equilivent to refilling your whole lines. as for head wash.... I made sure that button is not available to me, head washes are scary.

wylie

we have a 64 & a 48 valuejet. we never turn them off they will do a self
cleaning on their own, we have not had any serious problems in over 1 year.

SignsRus:
I would guess that your VJ64 is still under manufacturer's warranty (based on the machine's availablility).

Have you called your selling reseller for assistance? They should be the first line of defense for this type of problem.

Bob

Graphicholik3

Headwash is a great way to spend a couple hundred bucks!

Haha I hear ya on that one! I figured it was just a simple method to wash the head as it title declares. I think they should change the name to FLUSH instead of Wash. A tech. told me there is a much better way to clean the head. Take a lint free rag, take one of the solvent cleaner cartridges. Cut open the cartridge so you can use the liquid, soak the lint free rag in the cleaner solvent, place the rag on the capping station. Raise the head height to high and bring it into the capping station, then lower the head height & let soak for a couple hours. After soaking do a normal cleaning on the head & it should be fine. I did this because my 'M' wasn't firing correctly nor was 'K'. Works GREAT!

Graphicholik3

we have a 64 & a 48 valuejet. we never turn them off they will do a self
cleaning on their own, we have not had any serious problems in over 1 year.

I never turn mine off as well as Mutoh recommends! Very nice printer to have the self cleaning capability! As well as if you get a head strike it automatically returns to the capping station & cleans the heads the best it can!

randya

Head washes are normally reserved for times when the printer will be off for more than a week or two.

The lint free works well for plugged nozzles, I normally rewet mine every 15-30 minutes.

Care must be taken not to damage the bottom of the head.

Be sure and clean the wiper.

Gutting open a cleaning cartridge provides the best cleaning. Denatured alcohol can work in most cases, but the cleaning solution is faster and more thorough. Anything stronger than denatured my damage the capping station.

kstompaint

It automatically goes to the capping station and cleans the head after a head strike? Ours didn't. The media bunched up and we weren't babysitting it. There were alot of headstrikes and it just kept printing. The lint-free soaking method with 91% alcohol was a quick fix.

randya

It automatically goes to the capping station and cleans the head after a head strike? Ours didn't. The media bunched up and we weren't babysitting it. There were alot of headstrikes and it just kept printing. The lint-free soaking method with 91% alcohol was a quick fix.

It really cant tell if the head contacts the media, there is no headstrike sensor.

The soaking method worked, probably because the head was scraping off mostly dry ink and smearing it on the nozzles.

jiarby

I took the old cleaning cartridges and cut them open and got a baby food jar's worth of cleaning solution. Smell alot like Dipropyleneglycol monomethylether to me... very expensive Dipropyleneglycol monomethylether.

<edited to remove incorrect chemical reference>

Last edited:

jiarby

I believe you randy.. but it kinda smells like it!

I didnt mean it to sound like I was recommending it.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Try running a FILL and see if it start firing again. Been there a couple of times and has worked for us.