• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Van Graphic/banner

graphix45

I have a local radio station group that has 3-4 of there stations that do live remotes using the same van. As of now the van has all there station logos on it. Now they want to redo one side of it so they can change the logo out for the radio station they are doing the remotes on. They asked about large magnetics but I didn't think that would work well for a long term solution. I was thinking about the banners that slide in a track/frame like are used on some box trucks. The manager of the stations said they do not need something that would stay on while driving the van, just something they could setup once at the location of the remote. So then I suggested a large banner stand that the banners could be changed out and just set up along that side of the van. He wasn't sure about that and wants some other suggestions on something mounted to the van.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on something like this.
Thanks in advance!:frustrated:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Out of the two, magnets would be the best ... but wouldn't last they way they want and require more work to stay decent looking. Banners would work ... if hey want to drill holes in the van and install those temp banner mounts (you know, the ones that you screw in and has a twist head to lock the grommet in place) I mean, it would leave a decent hole where the banners are ... and you would have to hope all the banners are the same grommet spacing. They would probably just do better to have a custom pop up tent since they could still have the van all wrapped, but have seperate designs on the tents that could be used with the van or away from it. That and probably one of those wind resistant a frames would hit a lot better and last longer with better visibility than magnetics on the van or banners.

JgS

I would go with magnets too. I once did a food truck that had 3 different companies using it. I had a frame built where they could slide in aluminum panels whenever they wanted to change the name on it. Maybe something like that will work.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Evidently, they want something that's really gonna get noticed, so why not suggest something big and bold ??

A portable sled sign. That way if the remote is a rainy or windy day, it won't fall over.

Two sides with pre-drilled holes for just snapping the thing together and then drop the sign into routes in the posts from the top. Now, everyone will look at that... and ya don't even have to touch the truck. Money saving idea at the same time.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
How about "velcro" to hold a banner up. Use the hook side on the van. If their not going to use it when the van is moving, that should hold up pretty well. And when they drive off with the banner still on the van. You will get to make another one!

graphix45

My concern with the magnetics is:
1-Even though they've been told not to drive with them on the van, at some point somebody will, and blame me for it
blowing off.
2-Proper storage of the magnets when not in use (I've seen the way they store their banners and stuff).

It seems the station manager wants me to come up with an idiot proof system for this. I think he should just get rid of the idiots, but I guess that's not easy either.

I'm leaning more toward some type of banner track system (Even the ones designed for indoor use). As long as it's very obvious to the radio DJ's (AKA the idiots) that they can't drive with them in place. If we go that way I will have that stated on my invoice & get it signed.

I'm still open for opinions, but I think they want something mounted to the van as they already have a tent with the name of the company on it that I suggested hanging the banners for the different stations from it.

Thanks for the replies.

graphix45

I would go with magnets too. I once did a food truck that had 3 different companies using it. I had a frame built where they could slide in aluminum panels whenever they wanted to change the name on it. Maybe something like that will work.

Thanks!
Something like this may work. It's an old van (late 80's) so drilling into it to mount a frame or track shouldn't be a problem. I could do individual panels that could slide into place once they get to their location. Do you think coraplast would work or should I stick with aluminum or a 3mm ACM.

Gary Welch

Premium Subscriber
Banner Frame

Banner frame such as Ackland Media frame. Can be easily changed. Doesn't blow over in the wind. I have a customer that buys a new banner every month. Some of the banners have expiration dates and artwork from tire companies that changes every month or so. Some banners are seasonal and they keep them rolled up to use again next year. A great sales opportunity. My employee has a friend who is a dj and there is no way he could take care of a large magnet.

Billct2

I would look at the sign track idea. We did busses with them and they work pretty well.
Each panel could be double sided so if there are 4 logos it would only require 2 sets of panels.

Locals Find!

The banners held on with magnets idea is a good one.

Just make sure your getting paid cash and you don't fall for the "we'll trade you airtime scam". Remember, airtime costs them nothing they will always try to trade you their dead air rather than actually paying for something. I used to do work with one of the countries largest radio station conglomerates, (Beasley Broadcasting) and they always tried that stuff. Then they would always try to avoid paying me until I filed in court to get paid.

Just be aware when dealing with radio stations. They can be worse than realtors.