Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Van island newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wild2cpl, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Wild2cpl

Wild2cpl New Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I've always been Intrested in graphic arts. I have been air brushing as a hobby for about 5 years now(a few real paying jobs :clapping: ) and really enjoying it. I volunteer for rotary and the local united way and make all there signs . So I bought a piece of $&@? China built plotter thinking it would save me time making stencils but I spend more time working on the getting the thing to run and it just ends up frustrating me.
    I'm going to spend a little more money and buy a better plotter obut I would like the ability to print on the vinyl as well. Maybe turn this into a side business :supersmilie: .
    So all your info or advise on plotters ,airbrushing or sign making is welcome. My budget for a plotter/printer is in the $2000-3000 range . I don't mind buying used as long as it was cared for .
    My other hobby is rebuilding old cars . I have a 47 dodge coupe , 52 ford f8 truck and a triumph tr4 .

Tags:
  2. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Welcome to a outstanding Signs 101 & people

With $2,000 a good 24" cutter can be had

Take the rest buy software & books on advertising design.. like Mike Stevens Mastering Layout

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA..............................

4. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

Welcome from Skokie, IL :thumb:

5. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Welcome from OK.

Printers need to be used or they become a repair nightmare. You're better off farming out the prints until you do something with it beyond a hobby.

6. Wild2cpl

Wild2cpl New Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I airbrush almost every day it's time consuming to hand cut all my stencils and would be to expensive to run down to the vinyl shop everyday. I think it would be utilized a fare bit. I use the china built unit buT it was never a very clean cut and always have to clean up the stencil by hand after weeding it .

7. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Are you doing mostly indoor stuff? I know that there are some aqueous printers to be had very inexpensively that also don't require the level of maintenance. Media will cost you a little more but if your volume is small it won't matter much. You won't find a traditional print cut solution within your budget I am afraid.

8. limacchina

limacchina Member

Apr 24, 2011
    welcome from tianjin