• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Van Lettering... yeah, it's a scam...

Kwiksigns

wookie
Here is the first e-mail someone told me we had received:

Hello
Owner/manager

Hello good Morning, this mr Maxwell, please i will like to know if you do vehicle lettering sign and design, because i want you to handle my van lettering sign, kindly get back to me by via email if you do with your full shop address, my email is midemaxwell@gmail.com. Because am away from my fax.

Thanks
Max

So this was for lettering & I figured it could most likely be a scam but vehicle lettering is something I haven't had an attempted scam on... So I reply:
Max,
Yes we do signs and Van lettering. We are at 10606B Baltimore Ave, Beltsville, Md, 20705.

I receive the following With the 3 attached pictures:
Hello

Good Afternoon , thanks for your response,This is mr maxwell I'm the owner of SD.best rug cleaning i care,i just receive your email concerning the lettering sign i want on my new van,so i want you to handle the lettering sign on it i have attach the sample of my present bus to this email so go ahead and check it that is exactly what i want you to do on this new bus,and this is the information !! company name SD.Best Rug and Carpet Dry Cleaning care, and our address is 13050 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, MD , and email is henrymaxwell47@yahoo.com the size of the van is is 6' high x 16' long,so please get back to me with the estimate and total cost for this if you are ready to handle this for me? i will like to have your shop address again in case the wrecker driver arrive with the van to your location so he can locate your shop easily to deliver the van to you for the work, please get back to me with quote and fina asking price for the job for 2009 model Ford Van.

Thanks
max

......My response was... inappropriate.

Attachments

• New Van.jpg
    New Van.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Old Van.jpg
    Old Van.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 119
  • SDBEST Art work.jpg
    SDBEST Art work.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 112

SignManiac

They own the wrecking company and will want you to pay them for the supposed towing expense. Latest of many scams. They are diversifying into every facet of the sign business. Even carved/blasted signs. They figure with 75 million sign companies in the U.S. a few will fall for the scam. And they're right.

Kwiksigns

wookie
They own the wrecking company and will want you to pay them for the supposed towing expense. Latest of many scams. They are diversifying into every facet of the sign business. Even carved/blasted signs. They figure with 75 million sign companies in the U.S. a few will fall for the scam. And they're right.

AAhhhh the "wrecking driver"... I was wondering wtf he meant by that... I mean I didn't even quote him, a few words were sufficient enough to not get any reply back.

Craig Sjoquist

ok so what happen next, why 2 different emails addys, why send your real addy twice, why poorly designed logo sent. why poor English used. ?????

Kwiksigns

wookie
ok so what happen next, why 2 different emails addys, why send your real addy twice, why poorly designed logo sent. why poor English used. ?????

If you check it out... That is actually how that company has their vans. That image is from their site. The "poorly designed logo" is actually their real company logo. It is a Legit Company, but a POS scammer...

MikePro

so what's the punchline of this scam? driver shows up with a crummy van, makes you sign something, and hooks you into a long list of unseen fees?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
"Rug cleaning"

Sorry, but nobody calls that fuzzy stuff that goes from wall to wall a "rug". Especially industry professionals...which he definitely IS NOT.

RUN....

thewvsignguy

Yup, but we are in the western part of MD in the mountains. Email scammers are about as annoying and the phone solicitors, they deserve a **s woopin' too! I used to work for a shop in Rockville and they got 4-5 a month.