Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Van Skin Design

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by formanek, Feb 1, 2011.

1. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I hesitate posting unfinished designs but....

Each side has subtle changes like the icicles hanging from the top of the side on one and not on the other.

Be nice to me... I am sensitive.:loveya:

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    My first impression was that it was for a comic book shop, video arcade, or amusement park. Don't ask me to explain that, that's just what I thought.

3. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    please dont do this. this makes me not wanna call them for anything. the colors are just too much! the lettering font is horrible...this looks like an ice cream truck. sorry

4. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Looks like you have got a bit of font squishing and stretching going on there, which is never a good idea.
    I like the penguins.
    (hey I'm from Pittsburgh)
    but you have too many casual fonts (can't tell if it's the same one but stretched) going on.
    Try the phone # and refrigeration in something like Impact, and Graham in caps and lower case if that is an option.
    Your lettering is way too big on the sides, too.
    Leave some breathing room.
    You're terrifying those poor birds.
    Why is refrigeration so low on the bottom of the van back?
    Is it melting?
    Love....Jill

5. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010

Thanks for the constructive ideas. The customer is concerned about people not seeing it. I am making some changes to the fonts and working on the kerning a bit. Never should I "give up" and post at after midnight my time period. :rock-n-roll:

The penguins HAVE to be in the design. It is their trademark. Jilly I agree now that I look again this AM about the room to breathe.

The refrigeration on the back of the van went low because of the damn license plate area. I am now trying to shrink the lettering and place in a new area.

Again, thanks for the constructive criticism. Gotta love the "don't ask me why comments." :banghead:

6. Jillbeans

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Glad I didn't upset you.
    I'm sensitive too.
    What if you rearranged the phone # with refrigeration on the back for starters?

7. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    I'll wait till you make changes. since I know you can make it look better.

8. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Version #2

Attached Files:

9. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    Are you married to the Graham font? Too casual for main copy in this case, IMO. I like the graphics, though.

10. laserman70

laserman70 Very Active Member

Dec 25, 2007
    usa
    I like version 2 better. Put the # under the Commercial - inst.
    The # just look s out of place to me.

11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    For starters.... the ice doesn't look right being so blueish.

Why must all the copy be italicized ??

In a monochrome scale, you have just about everything around 4 to 6. Turn this into a grey-scale and you'll see what I mean.

Are you not doing anything to the roof ?? Reason being.... the icicles will be appearing from nowhere in the real-world.

12. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Not married to anything except my wife. :) Customer is not letting me use much for color and I am trying to get other opinions so I can start using it. He also wants me to use the snow covered font (almonte snow?) but ever damn truck I see with refrigeration uses it. It is hard to read in my opinion.

13. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    No roof, but the blue will go up to the point of the cap ridge. Ice will be coming from the drip edge on the roof where the side panels and roof meet.

14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Here's what I mean by real life circumstances.........
    white roof ice.jpg
    Once a design is off the screen and in a real environment..... you can't fool the eye into seeing things that are just really there. To me, this looks odd, therefore not finished. Only food for thought. It's your project.
    :peace!:

15. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I know what you meant and I am working to show the customer that too. This picture will help. Thanks. I am trying to talk them into skin'n the roof blue as well. Thanks Gino.:toasting:

16. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    ^^^^^^^ Why would you EVER do that.

17. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    So leave it white Colorado? You ask a lot of questions but never seem to be too informative.:Sleeping:

18. Jillbeans

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Version 2 is better but I don't like to see a script used alongside a casual font.
    I would try to use as little of that Graham font as possible.